Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 04:44 AM

Default Checking behind flops..... (LC)

OK I'm a little bit drunk, and since I have no one to insult like I usually like to do I'll try to pose a very stupid simple scenario that seems to be giving me problems a lot, especially now that I've been mixing in some no limit with my usual limit play.

You're playing some game (I guess shorthanded or full doesn't matter). You raise cutoff or button with XX and both the blinds call (let's say for sake of discussion and in my experience the most common scenario one is really bad and the other is ok). Flop comes XXX. Is it ever correct to check behind if it is checked to you? If so, why is checking better than betting?
Old 05-31-2007, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Checking behind flops..... (LC)

Sometimes if you flop a monster or the board is REALLY REALLY bad heh. Whenever someone checks behind on a hand like this, it usually pretty obvious they have a hand, but some players are pretty terrible and not paying attention.

I remember getting quite a bit of action on the turn when i check behind on a board in which i flopped a set of Aces
Old 05-31-2007, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes if you flop a monster or the board is REALLY REALLY bad heh. Whenever someone checks behind on a hand like this, it usually pretty obvious they have a hand, but some players are pretty terrible and not paying attention.

I remember getting quite a bit of action on the turn when i check behind on a board in which i flopped a set of Aces

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, in the hands I've played, people who check behind any semi scary flop has absolutely nothing. A lot of times I can bet and take it down if I'm one of the blinds (being the OK player not the BAD player OBV lol) or bet 3 bet with air and take it down also. My thinking is that in order for a flop check behind to be effective, you have to do it in multiple situations so that even the worst of players don't spot any kind of exploitable tendencies by you. So is it ever correct to do so?
Old 05-31-2007, 05:06 AM

Well you're pretty much right. It's rarely right to check behind unless some extenuating circumstances... like a setup for a later hand.

eh there is always some exceptions i can't think of any right now heh
Old 05-31-2007, 08:42 AM

i think it's correct to check behind sometimes but not with any great frequency...

i posted a hand awhile back... board was like 68T rainbow and i had 78... basically i wanted to induce a bluff on the turn against a guy who would c/f hands with 3 outs or less usually, like A4 or K5... you risk a free card and you give up the initiative but i felt in that particular hand it was worth it...

but usually it's just correct to bet because most folks will either peel with a lot worse, or fold better so frequently you'd be nuts not to bet 100% of the time...
Old 05-31-2007, 09:14 AM

DaveR sucks and I'd play him HU for anything.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:56 AM

Yes, I raise Js9s and both blinds call. And the flop comes Ah, Qh, 6h. I check behind.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I raise Js9s and both blinds call. And the flop comes Ah, Qh, 6h. I check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually against certain players and depending on what your image is at the time this may not be a bad flop to bet. It would be difficult to peal here unless your opponents had a heart or an ace or better or they just thought you were FOS.

Sometimes you can see it in them that this was not the flop they wanted. They may throw away smaller pocket pairs or gut shots not wanting to get involved here.

If these guys are the types to peal no matter what then obviously checking would be correct.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:56 PM

You are right, I just knew I should't bet here. One guy had an ace and the other had the Kh. Neither of them bet until the river.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:01 PM

Whenever I flop five of a kind, I always check behind. You have to let them catch up.