Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Stuff that you CANT find out from Nutrition Labels

This thread is for nutrition questions that you can't find the answer to on a nutrition label.

Soda: Most people assume it's bad for you because of the sodium, sugar, and calories. I'm under the impression that soda is one of the worst things you can consume, almost 100% because of the acidity level. Basically, our bodies aren't equipped to handle large amounts of fluid with such an acidic pH value. Can anyone elaborate on this and the effects high acidity fluids have on your body? Also, how does stuff like Orange Juice compare?

Vitamin C and Calcium - Unlike my soda comment, I am under the impression that the following theory is NOT completely valid, although I really don't know. I have been told that the vitamin C you get from OJ and the calcium you get from milk are barely absorbed at all by your body, and are practically meaningless. Can anyone disprove this theory?

What other nutrients do we need that we can't find on nutrition labels? I know Omega 3 fatty acids are important (Salmon and Soy Beans are great sources).

No real structure is necessary for this thread. Just post your questions and/or answers as you see fit.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Stuff that you CANT find out from Nutrition Labels

Isn't the ph of our stomach ridiculously low anyway?
Old 05-30-2007, 04:09 PM

Soda: Most people assume it's bad for you because of the sodium, sugar, and calories. I'm under the impression that soda is one of the worst things you can consume, almost 100% because of the acidity level. Basically, our bodies aren't equipped to handle large amounts of fluid with such an acidic pH value. Can anyone elaborate on this and the effects high acidity fluids have on your body? Also, how does stuff like Orange Juice compare?

This guy told my nutrition class this one time. He was some kind of "natural foods" guy. I asked a couple of my friends who were doctors and they said that was [censored].

They said your stomach will just adapt accordingly.

Recently they have been putting transfats on the label. But you can look to see if hydroginated oils in the ingredients. That will tell you if it has transfats.

Also look for high fructose corn syrup on ingredients when you are looking at sugar content.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:37 PM

It was my understanding that the acidity of soda was only a problem for your teeth being that they are calcium/phosphate/x salts...otherwise the acidity isn't really an issue. I think it's the HFCS among other things...
Old 05-30-2007, 08:29 PM

heard the calc in milk isnt absorbable dont know why,

vit C in orange juice is almost non existent by the time you drink it
because
a) it's pasteurized which destroys vit C
b) sitting out the C is destroyed over time, and I've heard this process is greatly accelerated when the VitC is in solution like Oj
Old 05-30-2007, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was my understanding that the acidity of soda was only a problem for your teeth being that they are calcium/phosphate/x salts...otherwise the acidity isn't really an issue. I think it's the HFCS among other things...

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah for teeth is a dif. story. It's def bad for that. Just not stomach. HFCS is the devil.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:50 PM

How about energy drinks like Rock Star?

[ QUOTE ]
Sugar Free Rockstar Energy Drink is aspartame and maltodextrin-free, using instead a blend of Splenda-brand sucralose and acesulfame potassium ("Ace K").

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Here are the other ingredients:

[ QUOTE ]
Ingredients: [Edit]
carbonated water, citric acid, taurine, sodium citrate, maltodextrin, natural and artificial flavors, guarana seed extract, ascorbic acid, caramel color, caffeine, poatssium sorbate (preservative), sodium benzoate (preservative), acesulfame potassium, sucralose (non-nutritive sweetner), l-carnitine, inositol, milk thistle extract, ginkgo biloba leaf extract, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate, siberian ginseng root extract, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, cyanocobalamin

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-01-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
acesulfame potassium ("Ace K")

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read that's really bad for you. Other than ordering online there's really no gum that doesnt have that or aspertame/.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:41 AM

Milk isn't a good source of Calcium, because you need Magnesium for your body to process it. Milk is Magnesium free.

http://www.notmilk.com/deb/092098.html

http://www.notmilk.com/calcium2.html
Old 06-02-2007, 01:56 AM

Damn anti milk lobbyists.