Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Hand from Mandalay Bay (not mine)

"this hand came up in the 50-100 level today. i limped UTG with about 19k with 77. one other player limped, the button limped, SB completed, and cory carroll raised to 625 from the BB. i called 525 more as did the two LP limpers, SB folds. flop 7d 4h 2d. Cory checked, i bet 1800, both limpers folded, Cory called. the turn is the 5d, making the board 7d 4h 2d 5d. there's now 5800 in the pot. Cory checks, and i decide to check and plan on calling just about any non-diamond river. i might even call there depending on the action. the river is the 8s, now it's 7d 4h 2d 5d 8s. Cory bets 4100, i have about 16k, he has me covered. ur action?? do you think i should have bet turn, and if so, how do i respond to a c/r? i was brand new to table. "

I have my own thoughts obv.

sheets
Old 05-30-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Hand from Mandalay Bay (not mine)

I like the way you played it. You're probably beat at this point, but I would never fold a set here. He's block/value betting a lot of overpairs and stuff. I would fold 99/TT, but no way I'd fold this.

Bet/folding the turn is so sickening that I don't know how you can bet there. Stacking off to a flush is just as sickening. W/P.

edit-okay, I see this wasn't you now so I take back all the complimentary stuff. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2007, 11:29 AM

I agree with Aust about the block/value bet. This is always an overpair or a flush. I'd expect to see a flush a lot more than an overpair because of the flop action.

Check calling a coordinated flop like this against a bunch of limpers would be very wierd with an overpair. this looks like AdKdor AdQd trying to avoid getting check-raised and looking for a good price to draw against multiple opponents.

I would also expect a block bet to be a little smaller, generally.

All thing considered it looks like a fold. I would probably call though.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:42 AM

To add to what I said and maybe clarify a little...

When I am faced with a river decision like this where my opponent could have the nuts, but could also have a wide range of non-nut type hands...JJ, 87, 55, 65, etc (not sure what Cory's PF range is)...I often make my decision based on where my hand falls within that range. (maybe this is DUH! obvious stuff to a lot of people.) 77 falls at the very top of that range (save 88) so that makes this decision pretty easy.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:27 PM

I think you played this fine. Having to deal with a c/r on the turn would really suck so a check behind works really good. It also gets hands that you beat to lead the river and that is always good. I call this river bet.

Obviously we bet the turn if it's a non-diamond/str8 kinda card, but this fits both so a bit of caution here is not a bad thing. IMO.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:36 PM

I think hand values within the range should be weighted.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:39 PM

bet the turn anyone with a big flushdraw and being PFR is bet/3beting allin on that flop.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:18 PM

I agree with shaun, villian's flop c/c as the preflop raiser doesn't look like flush draw to me. if he had a big flush draw he would either lead out or c/r you on this flop. That's why I lead turn. As played, call river.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:19 PM

why are you guys calling the river you afraid of 88/66 that much? I think that is a small part of his range if 88 raises PF it bets that flo if 66( I don't think it does such a large raise) raises PF it bets that flop
Old 05-30-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bet the turn anyone with a big flushdraw and being PFR is bet/3beting allin on that flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, the only flushes he probably ever has here is AQ, AKdd because he raised OOP. Chances are he has AA/KK/QQ and won't fold to a turn bet and might even get goofy and block on the river.