Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 11:39 PM

Default what do you learn by grinding up a BR at the micros ?

Im just curious about the question in the topic as ive just started a new bankroll that im going to have to grind up at .01/.02 NL tables. So far the strategy that seems to be appropriate (nitty rock nut peddler) is very boring and i dont seem to be able to learn anything new if i want to make money at this level.

So maybe im missing something that i can learn by doing this ? Anyone out there whos done this before wanna chirp in ? should i ask the micro NL guys ?
Old 05-29-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Re: what do you learn by grinding up a BR at the micros ?

I agree that it can get boring grinding out a BR at such low limits but what I have found that can make it more interesting is to play more tables. I would usually 2 table NL 20 and would find myself bored at such low stakes but after increasing the tables to 5 it seems much faster and gives me that drive to play these stakes and move up.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:53 AM

Or you can save up and deposit more and play higher. If you aren't interested about depositing more than you just have to wait it out.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:58 AM

Well you learn patience, which to me is the number one priority to learning to control your bank roll. If you have no patience, then you will fly through your roll and have to deposit again. I find playing micro cash games really help my patience level.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:03 AM

What I have learned is to take advantage of my edges gradually. At $10 NL I was capable of taking players down with not so great weak-tightish play. At NL $50 I am finding that a more aggressive (and sound) TAGish strategy is infinately better. And so on. Basically it allows you to build up your skill set slowly and when you should apply certain tools and when you should avoid certain moves. Et cetera.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:00 AM

pot size
pot control
outs
no-outs
check raising
free cards
slow playing
hand reading
etc
etc
etc

ie it's the same game and there are plenty of learning opportunities.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:19 AM

whats TAGish ? tight aggressive ??? :S
Old 05-30-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Well you learn patience, which to me is the number one priority to learning to control your bank roll. If you have no patience, then you will fly through your roll and have to deposit again. I find playing micro cash games really help my patience level.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true, though I refer to it as discipline. If you're trying to take poker seriously there is nothing more important than discipline. If you start tilting and playing poorly after losing a cheeseburger in a hand (not an insult, i've been there) then all hell will break lose when you lose a month of rent, or mortgage, or a car. It's an on-going process that never ends, trying to be utterly 'professional' while playing, even if you don't and never plan to play professionally.

[ QUOTE ]
pot size
pot control
outs
no-outs
check raising
free cards
slow playing
hand reading
etc
etc
etc

ie it's the same game and there are plenty of learning opportunities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just playing a volume of hands to the point where things become totally familiar is the key when you're beginning. Plus, if you get bake-rack and bonuses and focus on learning something you'll fly through the micros.

P.S. Oh yeah, don't play a too nitty nut peddler style, but do play ABC TAG.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:29 PM

One of the things we can all learn better at 1 table than at 2 or more is getting and using reads. Thats an important facet of poker. Too important IMO to be sacrificed to alleviating boredom.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:15 PM

I'm not sure there is a lot other then patience that you can learn playing 2nl. people at that level are not going to be the equivalent of playing your friends in a home game the first time they have played. I would suggest saving up a bigger deposit and playing 10nl (about 200-300 if your brand new to it). at 10nl your going to shorten your learning curve and be able to see a noticable difference in your br after a winning session. playing a tight, aggressive, and solid game will make you money. I've hade these people stack off for 200BB with bottom pair, so your hands will get paid off.