Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Gym etiquette - indicating you\'re still using a bench/platform/etc...

I had no trouble at my school gym when I was taking a one-minute break in-between sets. Leave my dumbbells on a bench, get water, come back or leave a 25lb plate on a bench at a bench press area, and come back in 1-2 minutes. Never had any problems.

I'm back home for now and used my local YMCA, which really doesn't cater to free weights whatsoever. I left a 25lb plate on my benchpress (along with the weights still on it), walk away, and 20 seconds later, a guy walks up and starts removing the weights quickly. I tell him I'm still using it and that I need 1-minute breaks between sets. After my next set, I get up and do the same thing. Another guy wanders over and starts standing in front of the bench, staring at it. I tell him I have two sets left. He does the same thing the next time I leave momentarily.

Was I just dealing with two impatient idiots or is there some other sort of way I need to indicate I'm still using something (write on a piece of paper I'm still using this?)
Old 05-29-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Gym etiquette - indicating you\'re still using a bench/platform/etc...

Let them rotate in?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Gym etiquette - indicating you\'re still using a bench/platform/etc...

This is a pretty common problem caused by stupid jerks who don't unrack their weights when done to indicate an open machine. People are so used to seeing unused machines with weights still loaded on they decide to go ahead and use it.

As far as keeping people off a machine in use, you can hang a towel on it or leave a water bottle. (I find this particularly important for the squat rack since most facilities only have one. And lord knows that the MINUTE you step away from that baby some assbag is going to be stripping it down to do some [censored] curl variation.)
Old 05-29-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Gym etiquette - indicating you\'re still using a bench/platform/etc

I generally leave my keys/towel on or around the area of the bench so that they understand that I have marked that area
Old 05-29-2007, 09:37 PM

curls in the power rack need to be outlawed, ive yet to see anybody curl a weight heavy enough to necessitate the use of a cage. in an ideal world just leaving weight on the bar should be enough. failing that, rest around the bench maybe?
Old 05-29-2007, 11:04 PM

Towel spread out on the machine is normal, but you should offer anyone to work their sets in with yours if they lurk around trying to get on the same machine
Old 05-29-2007, 11:05 PM

Failing that, you could mark your territory like a dog..
Old 05-29-2007, 11:23 PM

I dislike confrontation. I usually just stay at the bench/ rack and get water inbetween exercises.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a pretty common problem caused by stupid jerks who don't unrack their weights when done to indicate an open machine. People are so used to seeing unused machines with weights still loaded on they decide to go ahead and use it.

As far as keeping people off a machine in use, you can hang a towel on it or leave a water bottle. (I find this particularly important for the squat rack since most facilities only have one. And lord knows that the MINUTE you step away from that baby some assbag is going to be stripping it down to do some [censored] curl variation.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually give it 5 minutes; if I haven't seen someone use a machine but it still has weight on it (and there is no towel or other marker there), I take it off and use it myself.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:26 AM

I always let people work in with me, has never been an issue before.