Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Using PT Stats To Plug Leaks

So I've been hitting the micro balla $2.25 9-man SnGs in an attempt to build up and eventually rolled for 5-10's etc. I've had a few shots at both those levels and felt pretty comfortable with the competition but the risk of me taking a beat at the higher level and then donking off at the NL cash/PLO tables is far too great atm.

Anyway, I was hoping to get some advice on some things I may be doing wrong based on my PT stats from my relatively small sample (I guess?). Roughly 50% of them are Turbos, which has increased my ITM % but negated my shorthanded game I feel (a lot more 2nd/3rd's now).

The most obvious leak to me here is my early play at 25/50 where I guess I'm playing too much from the SB + going to a few too many showdowns and only winning 40% of the time. As of late though I think I'm consciously playing tighter during that level.
At 150/300+ I think I'm just getting bad beat or coolered 100% of the time when it's shorthanded.

If anyone would be kind enough to look over these and point out anything that seems amiss I'm happy to listen.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Using PT Stats To Plug Leaks

Overall I think you're playing WAY too often from the SB on every level - almost 50%! You playing garbage like J6s?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:06 PM

Yeah I guess I am playing a bit too often from the SB, but at this level when you sometimes get a tonne of limpers, it's hard not to complete the SB.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:14 PM

From a glance:

red: too high, dark red: way too high, light blue: too low, blue: way too low

You should just generally tighten up your game in the early levels and tighten up alot from the blinds (especially BB).
Old 05-29-2007, 09:41 PM

Thank you both for the responses, I'm definitely going to be more mindful of just letting my blinds go in the future.
I think a lot of the problem stems from these people insisting on minraising (junkish hands + monsters) and I've found myself in some bad spots when defending, but I have slowed down somewhat recently before deciding to take a flop/repop it.
Bradley's right about me completing the SB with junkish sooted hands quite a bit, and even though the pot odds look good, being OOP is clearly the killer and I need to resist the temptation. I have no problem folding TPNK to any flop action though, which a lot of these guys can't seem to do.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:37 PM

Raise less at the start of the tournament and more towards the 75/150 levels. You are playing too much too early and taking speculative hands to far in multiway pots. Be aggresive early and protect hands. Be ready to go to war pf with AQs+ JJ+ this isn't the greatest EV but the amount of idiots that will be pushing and rr with AJ- here is amazing and the low pairs, 66-10's.

Raise 3x the BB as they are less inclined to resteal at this level.

Less calling from the SB especially in the middle levels.

Practice shorthanded whether you play $1 HU SNG's or something those results at the end aren't from you being coolered. Main tip be more aggresive not necessarily RR them all the time, but take stabs at every second flop and fold. These stabs will mostly rely on board texture but they are so profitable.

In summary tight early play is winning play, aggresive late play is winning play. Generally try not to slow play anything or when you do have a marginal hand you are likely to be raised off it.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:35 AM

Hey Ryot, thanks for the advice man.

It's pretty sick how these people are willing to shove small-medium pairs early on, and it's definitely something I look to take advantage of when I'm holding JJ+/AK.

First hand yesterday for example; I raised utg with AQs to 105 (15/30), cold-called by MP with JJ and BB shoves for 1500 with 99, I fold, JJ calls and guy spikes a 9. Expert.

I'm actually surprised my VPIP is so high at the earlier levels. The only hands I'm really coming in with are small pairs and even then I still dump those from early position or to a big raise. I'm never really looking to get involved in 4-5 way pots at any stage either (unless it's just completing the SB) so I don't often limp along just for the hell of it from the CO/Button even with suited connector type hands.

As for slowplaying, I'm a pretty massive advocate of just betting out since I do pull some sick all-in bluffs on the flop/turn at times and I want to balance it out with real hands too. Also since these guys are likely to pay you off anyway you're always better off just trying to build the pot imo. Check-raising the flop with two pair/sets and the turn with draws that hit is about as far as I go with slowplaying.

My short-handed play could probably use some improvement but for the most part I either find myself all-in with the dominate ace or a pair vs. one overcard and they suck out. I'll rarely gamble with calling all-ins with small pairs aswell which these guys seem to overplay to hell..

That's about all I can think of for now, if anyone has anything else to add I'm on board and eager to listen and learn.

Cheers.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:34 PM

Just wanted to bump this thread to thank the guys who gave me some much needed advice back when I posted this.

BradleyT's comment "You playing garbage like J6s?" sticks with me every time it's my SB, so thanks for that [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I also worked on the other stats as mentioned by Holy32 and it's definitely helped stop bleeding chips early, and getting in marginal situations. Ryot's advice was also helpful, though I'm yet to play any HU sng's.

Anyways here's my graph from sharkscope.com and my updated stats for the early levels. The middle games were $5.50's and a handful of 11's, hence the discrepency for where I made the post/where it was marked.

Thanks again guys if you read this, there's no doubt your advice helped me be a lot more consistent [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-03-2007, 10:52 AM

glad to hear it. : )

keep up the good work !
Old 07-03-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Practice shorthanded whether you play $1 HU SNG's or something those results at the end aren't from you being coolered. Main tip be more aggresive not necessarily RR them all the time, but take stabs at every second flop and fold. These stabs will mostly rely on board texture but they are so profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Every second pot? Heh. At low buy-ins my strategy is to limp into every pot, calling any reasonable raise with more or less any hand and betting pot on every flop, in or out of position. By the time they adjust you usually have a decent cushion of a chip lead, and they will be getting frustrated enough to make a move on the flop where you really do have trips.

Not saying it's optimal like, but I've tried it over the last 150 or so and it's sorted out my ITM finish distribution lovely. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]