Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Going camping - Finding a campground...

I'm trying to setup a camping trip with some friends, but am having trouble finding out relevant information about campgrounds.

There are so many that googlemaps isn't giving me a lot of reviews and the ones that they do are pretty sparce not describing the atmosphere of the campground. (I'm just looking for a secluded place to hang out with a bunch of friends where we won't bother people, not for a pool and game room for the kids...)

Is there a good site or way to go about doing this? I didn't have luck with google...So in my time of need I figured I could turn to OOT and its endless knowledge.

I'm in northern Illinois in case anyone has a reccomendations...

Thanks!

-Craig
Old 05-29-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Going camping - Finding a campground...

I just camped last Saturday with a few friends. I'm in Texas and there is a website for all the State Parks in Texas which is www.TPWD.state.tx.us, maybe there is a reciprocal site for Illinois?

Also, try searing for Private Campgrounds.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:48 PM

Just a small tip. Usually outside of the major campgrounds at national parks and some state parks is a smaller more secluded camping area with no facilities. This is usually free and alot less busy.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just camped last Saturday with a few friends. I'm in Texas and there is a website for all the State Parks in Texas which is www.TPWD.state.tx.us, maybe there is a reciprocal site for Illinois?

Also, try searing for Private Campgrounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Illinois' websites in that regard aren't that great.

For Northern Illinois you can't go wrong with the IM canal. There are sites all along the canal trail. Most of them are not accessible by car. So you'll have plenty of privacy if you don't mind hauling your gear a mile or so. There are several state parks along the way, including Starved Rock and Buffalo Rock and the lesser known Mathiessen State Park (fka Deer Park). The latter is also a nice place to camp away from the crowds of Starved Rock.

Some other State Parks that aren't too crowded are White Pines near Rockford and Illinois Beach near Waukegan. Also a great place to go but you have to make reservations pretty far in advance are the Dunes in Norther Indiana.

You should also check out the Wisconsin DNR website they have a real nice website. Check out the Ice Age trail. There is a wide variety of camping options along the trail.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:03 PM

You guys should consider driving over to Michigan.

I'm not a camper but I do know that there are a [censored]load of parks along the lake. Between the woods and the beach you will have the best of both worlds. Been pretty hot too so the water might be tolerable.

Here are a few links.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:05 PM

Craig

I am currently trying to plan my own camping trip for Labor day weekend (I know, it's a long ways off but i'm a planner). I'm originally from Chicago (now live in the DC area) but have spent many a summer vacation in northern MN and NW Ontario. After many years of driving through the Ely boundry area of MN I think I may finally make the trip. It's about a 12 hour drive from Chicago but it is absolutely amazing up there. There are some great canoe outfitters in the Ely area that will give you briefings, maps and instruction before letting out into the wilderness. Camp sites are all over the place and you just pull up your canoe and claim your bed for the night. Prices are quite reasonable and it seems like it would be loads of fun. This is not your typical park your car and go camp type of deal though, if this is what your looking for. Also not the type of trip if you want to booze it up as you will have to canoe and portage all your gear in and out.

If your not turned off yet, google Ely boundry waters and you will find loads of info.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ely boundry area of MN I think I may finally make the trip. It's about a 12 hour drive from Chicago but it is absolutely amazing up there

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 100% true. Best camping trip I have ever been on.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:50 AM

Wow - Oot comes through again. Thanks a lot everyone for the help. I'm not sure which route we're going to take, but this certainly gives me a lot to work with. I'll post the results when this thing happens...

-Craig
Old 05-30-2007, 10:29 AM

I'm originally from Chicago, and always heard that Starved Rock was nice. Haven't been there myself, though.