Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 06:09 PM

Default AKs with position on raiser

Just want to go over the different strategies I could use with AKs when I have position and someone raises into you.

For example, a hand came up earlier today. I had on the button and a player in middle position raises 5xBB. Now here, I feel the raiser usually has QQ-99 or AK AQ KQ etc. So Theres lots of opportunity to use my position. I would normally raise 3x the original raise, but calling is surely ok here to? and what happens when the flop comes 566 and he makes a continuation/value bet? do I call and try to take it away on a turn scare card, with at the same time having 6 outs? or do I raise straight away to make him define his hand?

Another line I have been looking at is when a raiser raises 5xBB or more, actually pushing all in whatever the stack sizes. You are only a big dog to AA, medium dog to KK, and these are not that likely from straighforward opponents due to the large raise. Most the time you will win the pot there, but occasionally you will be callled by medium pocket pairs and sometimes AQ or such as someone will read this raise as weakness.
I think this would be a better play from the blinds for a couple of reasons. It eliminates the chances of one of the blinds waking up with AA and busting you, and it also negates your positional disadvantage with the trickiest of hands AK.

Thoughts on this would be most welcome. I feel this is a hand that can win or lose a lot of money and so I want to spend a fair amount of time learning to play it correctly.