Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Did I make the wrong call here? KK vs QQ

So here is the situation:

$70 Buy in live tournament with about 78 players. Not very many good players, but a few. Starting stacks were 1200. Blind are now 300/500. I am sitting in the big blind with about 12,000. I had been cleaning up in the tournament doubling up against weak players. I am about 3rd in chips with most of the players at my table having around 3k or less chips. The button has about 12.5k chips. Final two tables about 16 players remain.

Action folds around to the button (who as 12.5k chips).
He raises all in, small blind folds. I look down at my cards and see QQ. I think about it for a while. I figure he can't possibly have KK or AA since raising all in there would result in 90% of the time or more just picking up the blinds. I am the only stack that can really hurt him at the table. I figure he might make this play with QQ or JJ since he doesn't really want to play a flop with those hands, and taking the blinds should be a fine result. After a while I finally call expecting to see him flop over a medium pair. He has KK...

Did I make the wrong play there?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Did I make the wrong call here? KK vs QQ

What was he doing before? Is he an idiot? Is he tight? Unless he showed that he was a loose dufus, I don't see any particular reason to call your whole stack. This looks like "OMG I have KK please don't call because I am scared of A5 sucking out". I'd much rather be raising AI with QQ in this spot than calling.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So here is the situation:

$70 Buy in live tournament with about 78 players. Not very many good players, but a few. Starting stacks were 1200. Blind are now 300/500. I am sitting in the big blind with about 12,000. I had been cleaning up in the tournament doubling up against weak players. I am about 3rd in chips with most of the players at my table having around 3k or less chips. The button has about 12.5k chips. Final two tables about 16 players remain.

Action folds around to the button (who as 12.5k chips).
He raises all in, small blind folds. I look down at my cards and see QQ. I think about it for a while. I figure he can't possibly have KK or AA since raising all in there would result in 90% of the time or more just picking up the blinds. I am the only stack that can really hurt him at the table. I figure he might make this play with QQ or JJ since he doesn't really want to play a flop with those hands, and taking the blinds should be a fine result. After a while I finally call expecting to see him flop over a medium pair. He has KK...

Did I make the wrong play there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Instacall, sucks that it went down like that but he made a terrible shove no matter what his hand was, someone making that bad of a play is hard to figure out a range for, but without previous info that this is a huge hand QQ is an easy call.

I instacall. That big of a bet it's like almost never KK or AA, it's usually mid pocket pairs or something like AJ/AQ/AK.

I was fairly new to the table, so I didn't have much information on the player. He seemed to be a fairly decent player from the hands I had seen.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:02 PM

I wouldn't be scared of KK, but AK would have me worried (why someone would push KK or AA here I'll never understand...actually I can't understand why someone would push anything here, so I guess AA and KK are as likely as any other stupid hand)...ahh, to be results oriented. I may have called...that being said, there's certainly a lot of merits to folding. Table conditions are a lot of the reasons why folding has merits, you said yourself a lot of the players are just giving you chips, and to get his you're going to have to take a risk. Then again, if you win this hand you're the big favorite to win the tourney. This is tough, you don't see people open push an M of 15.5 from the button very often.....On balance I think it's a fold, in the heat of the moment I don't know what I'd do (well hopefully I can get some soul reading lessons from HS players and then I'd know, but until then I don't know how I'd react.)
Old 05-29-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be scared of KK, but AK would have me worried (why someone would push KK or AA here I'll never understand...actually I can't understand why someone would push anything here, so I guess AA and KK are as likely as any other stupid hand)...ahh, to be results oriented. I may have called...that being said, there's certainly a lot of merits to folding. Table conditions are a lot of the reasons why folding has merits, you said yourself a lot of the players are just giving you chips, and to get his you're going to have to take a risk. Then again, if you win this hand you're the big favorite to win the tourney. This is tough, you don't see people open push an M of 15.5 from the button very often.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have said this too - when you are easily picking up chips from idiots and are close to the lead, why risk it all on one hand? There will be better spots. Absent reads, typical live players are tighter than online.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be scared of KK, but AK would have me worried (why someone would push KK or AA here I'll never understand...actually I can't understand why someone would push anything here, so I guess AA and KK are as likely as any other stupid hand)...ahh, to be results oriented. I may have called...that being said, there's certainly a lot of merits to folding. Table conditions are a lot of the reasons why folding has merits, you said yourself a lot of the players are just giving you chips, and to get his you're going to have to take a risk. Then again, if you win this hand you're the big favorite to win the tourney. This is tough, you don't see people open push an M of 15.5 from the button very often.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have said this too - when you are easily picking up chips from idiots and are close to the lead, why risk it all on one hand? There will be better spots. Absent reads, typical live players are tighter than online.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have 20 bbs and are going for the monster chip lead, to fold QQ he needs a range of JJ+ and AK, are you saying someone pushing 20bbs here is never doing it with worse? The fact that he's pushing here at all already shows he's a bad player btw, we are not dealing with a good player.

EDIT: My mistake, since no one is really gonna do this with aces, it shouldn't be in his range, JJ-KK, AK is a clear call.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:18 PM

Kleath is right no way I fold QQ here.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:34 PM

This is a call. I don't even think I contemplate it very long.

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 52.371% 50.99% 01.38% 35799808 966965.00 { QhQs }
Hand 1: 47.629% 46.25% 01.38% 32470726 966965.00 { TT+, AKs, AKo }

And that includes AA & KK, which I can't see being in villian's range all that often being played in this manner. Unless this was some serious metagame but that is so highly unlikely at this level.