Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 05:28 AM

Default Live Event, 100$/30, TT in MP, Villain goes all-in on trash flop

Live Event, 30 players, 6 payed, 20 left. Table is aggressive, most pots are contested preflop without a showdown. Villain is a young, calm but very aggressive yet thinking player who showed a couple of hands before that he is capable of raising 85o from UTG and conti-bet it on a scary flop. He managed to build a big stack and used to conti-bet every single hand after having raised pf.

My image is tight but aggressive. I took down four pots (from the beginning) without ever showing my hand. The hand just before this one I raised from EP but folded to an all-in-reraise from the CO.

Following hand arrives:

9 players
Blinds = 80/160
Hero (3480)
Villain (8000)

Hero has TT and raises from MP1 to 400. One folds, Villain makes it 1200 to go from MP3. Everybody folds to Hero. Hero calls.

<font color="blue">Correct?</font>

Flop comes 7, 5, 5 rainbow.

I check, planning to check-raise all-in any "normal" bet as he will conti-bet nearly any two here.

Villain bets 2.280 which is exactly my remaining stack!! This seems to be some kind of a tell for me. If he had 66 or AK for example I would have estimated him to go all-in for his whole stack (which in fact means the same but "feels" like more). Instead he takes exactly the amount of my stack, which I assume represents a bigger hand, like JJ or maybe QQ.

<font color="blue">1. Do you think my judgement of this tell (betting the exact amount instead of going all-in) is basically correct? Or is it nonsens?

2. Call? Or does anybody find a fold here? </font>

Thanks for your comments!!
Old 05-29-2007, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Live Event, 100$/30, TT in MP, Villain goes all-in on trash flop

Hm, if villain has been very aggressive as you said I'd have probably thought of shoving PF...

As played, this really depends on the reads you got of him... With a tight villain, who's repopping PF and then betting that high on such a flop usually would mean a higher PP. But against such a villain, who raises 85o UTG and is able to play out many opponents Postflop, I'm very often calling this here...

I think this "tell" you seem to have recognised is more often the opposite, as clever opponents want you to realise that you have to pay for all your stack to play your hand. But that's just what I've come to realise online... I know people who do the opposite (like myself [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]), so I'm not sure whether you can take this a general "tell".
Old 05-29-2007, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Live Event, 100$/30, TT in MP, Villain goes all-in on trash flop

I'm not folding this flop ever vs described villain after putting in over 1/3 of my stack preflop. And you're "tell" doesn't mean much unless you've seen him do it before and shown down a hand.