Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 09:46 PM

Default maniac player

I was recently playing in a soft 1/2 nl limit game when a new player sat down immediately to my left. Whenever I tried to limp in late position he would raise to around $30. I couldn't pick up any decent cards and eventually got frustrated and took a break. When I returned he had turned his 200 dollar buy in to 900. He was raising every pot and often playing all the way to the river, calling or betting with gut shots, one overcard, etc. I eventually moved to a seat to his left. I only had about 160 in front of me and didn't want to buy in anymore that night since my bankroll is limited. Any time I would call his raise of 25 or more preflop with hands such as ace king ace queen suited etc. I would miss the flop and he would make a large bet into me. He could have any two cards so I couldn't put him on a hand and I didn't want to commit my chips with ace high, even though it might be good. Should I just wait for big pocket pairs against a player like this? Should I shove preflop with hands like ace king when he makes his 25 dollar standard raise? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: maniac player

I would push behind him with AK all day long and put him on the defensive for once. When I play against a maniac I like to keep putting constant pressure on them.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:11 PM

If AK is ahead of his raise range, push over the top. These maniacs tend to settle down when they realize the sheriff is in town.

Of course, I usually have 3-4 buyins with me so I can do this. If you don't have the BR to push over this guy you need a table change.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Of course, I usually have 3-4 buyins with me so I can do this. If you don't have the BR to push over this guy you need a table change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. He isn't gonna let you see flops for $8 oh yea I forgot about the fact that you dont have much of a roll, so def move tables like homeboy said
Old 05-28-2007, 10:42 PM

Ran into a similar spot at the Venetian when I was there in October. Sat down at 1/2 NL with the max of $200, only to find there was a stack at the table with $1700 in front of him. He raised every single pot to $25. Just waited, picked my spot, let him be the agressor, and trapped him twice to pick up a few buyins.

Just gotta pick your spots.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was recently playing in a soft 1/2 nl limit game when a new player sat down immediately to my left. Whenever I tried to limp in late position he would raise to around $30. I couldn't pick up any decent cards and eventually got frustrated and took a break. When I returned he had turned his 200 dollar buy in to 900. He was raising every pot and often playing all the way to the river, calling or betting with gut shots, one overcard, etc. I eventually moved to a seat to his left. I only had about 160 in front of me and didn't want to buy in anymore that night since my bankroll is limited. Any time I would call his raise of 25 or more preflop with hands such as ace king ace queen suited etc. I would miss the flop and he would make a large bet into me. He could have any two cards so I couldn't put him on a hand and I didn't want to commit my chips with ace high, even though it might be good. Should I just wait for big pocket pairs against a player like this? Should I shove preflop with hands like ace king when he makes his 25 dollar standard raise? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

you shouldnt be calling raises here. you shouldnt be playing 200nl if a guy like this even registers one quick heartbeat. just change seats and destroy him.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:39 PM

The best way to deal with this kind of player is pick your spot and bust him. Don't fold after the flop with Slick or AQ, come over the top on him. He doesn't know you missed the flop, but he will know you don't play unless you have something and raising his bet tells him you have something.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:02 PM

Great thread, and thanks for the advice. I have had the same problem and have been lost.