Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 08:59 PM

Default What is the best move to make against blind stealers?

What is the best move to make against blind stealers on the button or on the cutoff? What hands do you call standard raises (3x blind – 4x blind) from the button in your big blind with? Do you prefer to reraise them pre-flop or let them make continuation bets and then re-raise them with just about anything?
Old 05-28-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Re: What is the best move to make against blind stealers?

This post is too vague. What stage of the tournament are you in and what are the stacks? What are the chances they will fold PF, and what are the chances they will CB/Fold on the flop. The worst part about re-stealing blind stealers is when stacks are deep enough for them to call light and force you to play OOP with a marginal hand and no clue where they stand, so avoid this situation. Generally, early in a tourney with deepstacks i either re-raise blind stealers from other blind-stealing postions, usually i'll be on the button 'cause the stealer will be on cut-off. Or i call in the blinds with a good holding, not just trash, and play a hand. Late in the tourney with less deep stack a re-pop anyimte i want to play against a blind stealer, or anytime i want to play my hand in general.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:39 PM

I try to do the best thing in each particular situation given what range I think they are raising with, how good they are postflop, my image, stack sizes, and alcohol intake.

...oh, and what cards I have...sometimes.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:48 PM

Read the anthology posts on re-stealing.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:00 AM

a combo of all these plays. i come over the top more w unpaired hands. you can stop n go. check raise the answer is it "depends" on time in tourn my stack his stack his style etc
Old 05-29-2007, 12:17 AM

In general, I don't think a lot needs to be done about it. If you have a great hand, reraise. If you have a good hand, call. Otherwise, fold. What dictates whether a hand is good, great, or otherwise is your image of that player, your perception of their image of you, how well you play out of position after the flop, how deep your stacks are, and what stage of the tournament you're in. Whatever you do, do it because it seems to be the correct move, not because you are offended at someone stealing your blind.