Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Weird Line with AA, what\'s the optimal way to play this?

Sorry to be clogging the forum w/ posts, this will be my only other hand for a while. Villain in this hand is relatively recent, only running at about 18/8 over 50 hands. I don't remember being 3bet by him yet. Obv. I would like to 4bet this preflop, but it's not something I do often enough so that's one area where I could improve. My plan for this hand was to craise any flop and take the hand from there. However, this flop was so nasty taht I was probalby just going to c-call and reeval the turn. The whole hand looks pretty nasty, what are some better lines?

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $35.45
BB: $27.80
<font color="black">Hero (UTG): $64.05</font>
MP: $32.95
CO: $65.40
BTN: $54.85

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $1.50</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $7.00</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls $5.50

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($14.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($14.75) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $8.00</font>, BTN calls $8.00

<font color="black">River:</font> ($30.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $14.00</font>, Hero ???

Pot Size: $44.75 ($1.50 Rake)
Old 05-28-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Weird Line with AA, what\'s the optimal way to play this?

4 bet pf.

More on the turn

Edit: you should probably fold river, as you only beat a bluff.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:11 PM

reraise preflop to $21, c/c turn, now fold the river
Old 05-28-2007, 06:13 PM

Not sure I like c/c'ing the turn

I think protecting against lone diamonds is better, as anything that raises the turn most likely has us beat. So I like bet/folding the turn. Anyone disagree?
Old 05-28-2007, 06:15 PM

i understand the comments about 4betting preflop, but I think (as i said before this is a problem) that this narrows my range considerably.

I hardly ever 4-bet, and I didn't want to lose him that soon. If he calls the $21 he's pretty much committing himself to the hand, and I woudl think he can get away from jj, 1010; things of that sort that might stack off on the right flops.

Again, if i were 4betting enough that my range was wider, than obv. i would have done so. ASSUMING that I only 3bet, whats your preferred line postflop?
Old 05-28-2007, 06:36 PM

i have no problem calling a 3 bet with AA ~50 % of the time, i think you get more value by playing some postflop with it.

of course, the majority of the time i smoothe call with it i'm in position. oop is soooo much trickier.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:41 PM

a 4bet would have simplified this hand a lot.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:50 PM

so do you think it's worth it to essentially reveal my hand (or close enough) and let him play perfectly after that just because i'm oop? I understand that argument, but it's very difficult for him to make a mistake when i play the hand in that manner.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:47 PM

I think you're getting too tricky for NL50. You'll get calls often by worse hands, even if you 4-bet. In position I think you can experiment with smooth-calling with aces, but here I think you need to raise it up. As you can see, calling OOP makes the hand very difficult to play.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:37 PM

I don't mind the call preflop, since you're isolated with one player and don't want to give your hand away.

The bigger question is - what does your opponent have? The re-raise preflop (since you didn't peg him as a maniac) implies that he has K-K, Q-Q, or A-K. J-J or 10-10 are sketchy to re-raise an UTG raiser with.

I would have bet the flop (have to try and define where you are in the hand.) If he re-raises, he either has a set or Qd-Qx. The check (to me) says that he either has Q-Q and a straight draw, or just flopped a set or top pair with A-K and is trapping.

The turn is interesting. He doesn't have A-K (would have to be scared of the flush draw and would raise you). The only three hands that make sense are K-K, J-J, or Qd-Qx.

From his perspective, you raised UTG, called a big re-raise, and checked a flop with an king. You then bet the turn when an ace hit. At that point, I have to put you on Q-Q (on the draw), A-K, or A-A.

I would have bet the river. Checking is a clear sign that you gave up on the hand, and don't have a queen or a diamond. If he didn't have the Qd, he probably would have thrown the hand away. Regardless, I think you have to call the river. It feels like a suck bet, but you're getting 3-1 odds to find out. My guess is that he has K-K.