Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 06:10 AM

Default Slowplaying question

Do you ever slowplay when you have raised preflop and hit a good flop? I just wonder because I believe I never do that. Am I hurting my winrate a lot?

Example:
I have been playing pretty nitty on this table for a couple of orbits since I sat down. Villain seems LAP but pretty weak postflop.
Blinds: $0.50/$1
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $150.67
Hero: $114.95
Button: $82.50
SB: $102.80
BB: $88.90

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $5</font>, 3 folds, UTG calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($11.5, 2 players)
UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $7</font>, UTG folds.
Uncalled bets: $7 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: $11.5

Is this a "slowplayable" hand? What do you consider before you decide to slowplay?
Old 05-28-2007, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Slowplaying question

This seems like a good hand to slowplay. It is HU, you have a monster hand (with a redraw), there are limited draws (diamonds and 45), and your opponent is unlikely to have a hand to call the a flop bet with. Unless he things you are FOS he is likely folding to your flop bet.

Lucky
Old 05-28-2007, 06:59 AM

Easy check HUs. Pray a diamond doesn't come. If it does, c/c turn and b/f river. Looks like villain has a small PP, best to convince him you have a busted FD or AK (so if he bets a non-diamond turn, call and pretend to bluff river).

I consider the aggressiveness of villain and my image (if I've been playing a lot of hands, etc).
Old 05-28-2007, 07:07 AM

One of the worst possible spots to slowplay. Board is wet and villain will likely peel one on the flop with any underpair, figuring this flop most likely didn't help you anyway.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:16 AM

I'd never slowplay here. You'll hurt your winrate a lot by slowplaying there.

If he doesn't have anything you might win couple more bucks by inducing a bluff. Just count how many of these tiny pots you'll have to win to break even after he stacks you with a draw that you let him hit.

If he does have a hand you might cost yourself a chance to get his stack by checking behind.

Never, ever slowplay passive opponents as they won't do the betting for you.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They can do the calling for you though if they have a hand. This board misses nearly everything he might of limped with UTG save diamonds and the fact that he is weak and OOP makes it unlikely that he is going to check-call the flop with something like a small pair. This is an easy check IMO, particularly given image considerations.

Lucky
Old 05-28-2007, 07:35 AM

I missed the part that villain was passive -- I just read that you only saw a couple of orbits.

I still don't think checking the flop is horrible if villain is unknown. I doubt you stack off to a made flush. PF defines your hand at this limit, so I highly doubt he calls with a small PP. Checking allows you a chance not to play so transparent.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They can do the calling for you though if they have a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
But only if you bet.

[ QUOTE ]

This board misses nearly everything he might of limped with UTG save diamonds and the fact that he is weak and OOP makes it unlikely that he is going to check-call the flop with something like a small pair. This is an easy check IMO, particularly given image considerations.

Lucky

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has a hand (TP, 2pairs, some fish even c/c 3 streets with a set) that he'd c/c his stack, you'll cost yourself ~60BB's by checking that flop.

If he has AT he'll call ~35BBs IF he hits his 3 outer on turn.

If he has something like T8 he MIGHT call ~10BBs IF he hits his 6 outer on turn.

And he always calls with a FD and OESD. Most likely calls the flop with A5.

This is an easy check IMO, but only for those who hate money.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:05 AM

The first thing to consider is how often you make a c-bet. If you almost always do it i will probebly fire here aswell, if i check alot of flops this is a perfect flop for slowplaying.

This particular flop is very unlikly to have hit your opponent and if you give him the turn for free he might hit a little something or decides to bluff.

Also if he has a good hand like 33 or 55 it doesnt matter that you checked the flop, the money will go in anyway.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:11 AM

almost never slowplay especially with draws on board...99% of the flops u should cbet (1% of flops you dont is if like its 89T monotone flop and you dont have any of those, etc)