Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2007, 02:17 PM

Default lag

I am interested in trying to play lag, but dont seem to be able to find much info on the style. Where can I find the info or can anyone explain the ideas behind it. Also is it a style for mostly tournaments or a viable style of play for cash games as well? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I guess what I'm trying to ask is how do you play that style of poker. I dont think its just a matter of playing any 2 cards and always raising and pushing with nothing or is it?
Old 05-27-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Re: lag

Just wait a few extra seconds before clicking.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wait a few extra seconds before clicking.

[/ QUOTE ]

snicker
Old 05-27-2007, 03:51 PM

in one of the limit or PL/NL forums on the left-hand bar please, whichever is most appropriate (read the FAQs, willya?)
Old 05-27-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
read the FAQs

[/ QUOTE ]

That is key. Don't repost this in a strat forum. It's too broad.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:17 PM

What am I missing? It seems to me OP, a first time poster, has asked a beginners question in the beginners forum. Thats not usually a flaming offense.

OP: welcome to the forum. In answer to your question I think it would be VERY ill advised to start out trying to play a loose aggressive style. Learn to play tight aggressive. Establish a solid winning track record over many thousands of hands. Then, if you must, you can take off the training wheels. A little at a time.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:45 PM

Thank you Bona. I guess I could have told a little bit about myself in orginal post. I have been playing for about 3 yrs now and feel I have made great strides in becoming a better player. I usually play in the smaller buy in tourneys $1-5 ones. For the most part I've gotten to the point that I get fairly deep in them with some occasional cashes. Actually was able to be dead money at wsop last year via Paradise poker. My problem seems to be I cant build a big enough stack with the tight approach to be able to play deeper or be in position to win. However, it seems the LAG players are the ones making the best finishes and feel its time to take the training wheels off so to speak lol. Any attempts to loosen up my play have generally been disasterous and I would like someone to open up my eyes on how to play loose agressive. On Pstars I play under the name setxraven so would welcome any help to improve. If I have posted my question in wrong forum I sincerely apologize.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:54 PM

Since you are about MTT's I am not qualified to help much. In limit, players usually recommend expanded their hand selection very gradually from late position. If you don't already have it you should wrap your head around Sklansky and Miller's book "No Limit Hold 'em; Theory and Practice" Your next step could be more about managing bet sizes and stack size strategies than expanded hand selection. They cover all these issues very well and it might be worth the investment.

Also you might describe your experience and your question in the MTT forum for more experienced advice. LOL MTT's [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2007, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What am I missing? It seems to me OP, a first time poster, has asked a beginners question in the beginners forum. Thats not usually a flaming offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

He posted it in 'About the Forums', and it was then moved here.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:30 PM

I've found that being loser in the begging levels of a tournament can be a good strategy. See more flops and hopefully hit and build your stack. Then at later levels, tighten up. Your loose table image should get you more action if you are at the same table.