Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2007, 04:27 AM

Default ($114) Gramps has got some \'splaining to do

The question I have here for the higher stakes players is what range do you push UTG here? I've been pushing wider and wider lately and I like the results. The problem is that if you don't push with this stack size and the blinds hit you, you're in big trouble.

I'm also wondering, Gramps, what the heck was up with this call? (Jack-Eight offsuit) That was the reason I retaliated later with the KQ call (that unfortunately got rivered)

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t400 with t25 antes (5 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Hero (t1945)
CO (t2228)
Button (t3065)
SB (t2733)
BB (t3529)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero raises to t1920 (All-in)</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t1520
Old 05-27-2007, 04:42 AM

Default Re: ($114) Gramps has got some \'splaining to do

Ive seen Gramps make some really really loose calls in similar spots, although it was a long time ago. (loose enough where I would consider them simply terrible).

I dunno it's probably for some meta-game reasons, although doesn't seem so useful in a spot like this since your raise is clearly not targeted at him. I'd prefer to make loose -EV calls with hands in a spot where it's clear your raise targets him, such as SB vs BB or button vs BB etc etc.

It also could be that he believes you push any 2, thus making his call good. However I'm quite sure you don't push nearly that wide, so I would never call here with J8o.

I had a similar hand against him a long time ago and was called by 43s. I mean I'm sure it was slightly different but I felt that it was a really bad call on its own merits. I put it down to some weird metagame plans and didn't let it effect me too much. But no matter how much you try it's hard to completely discount the idea that he may just decide to randomly call with some stupid hand, so it usually does tighten you up slightly. However I still think it's more effective in the situations I previously described.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:31 PM

Could the tipping factor be the way the stacks will line up if he wins?
Old 05-27-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could the tipping factor be the way the stacks will line up if he wins?

[/ QUOTE ]

OMGBLOCKTHEORY! easy call
Old 05-27-2007, 01:12 PM

I'd argue that due to block theory, you definitely *don't* want to call this. And remember, you have J8 so you're probably going to lose.

Ryan
Old 05-27-2007, 01:18 PM

IMO block theory should be heavily weighted against calling if anything. Gramps is in a fairly comfy spot here. Yeah it will be a lot comfier if he wins. But it will be even more towards the uncomfy side if he loses.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:50 PM

You probably shove tighter than a lot of people UTG. Gramps probably made a bad read. I can say there are certain people who I would snap call J8s here.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:45 PM

I guess I see those stacks and think "bye bye folding equity" before pushing pretty wide. It's probably not wide enough to make J8o correct though.

In my tradition of pushing ranges that make no sense whatsoever, I just came up with this one off the top of my head.
{22+,A2+,K2s+,K6o+,Q5s+,Q9o+,J8s+,J9o+,T8s+,98s,87 s,76s}
Old 05-27-2007, 07:55 PM

I play &gt; 100 SNGs a day normally, 9-11 at a time across two sites, so I certainly make lots of mistakes, maybe this is one of them. You seem to push very aggressively, don't know how wide yet in different spots (people read/react to things differently). I often run into the problem where people assume I will be tight in spots and take liberty of pushing very wide on me, if I perceive that it's going to arouse my curiousity on what real ranges really are, and I will mix in borderline calls with a normally more disciplined calling range.

A lot of people push very wide in that ~ 5 BB UTG 200/400 spot. I'm getting close to 2:1. If I win, I pwn. If I fold my blinds, I'm back in the pack without getting the benefit of a showdown (albeit with more chips/FE). I don't remember exactly who was left in that game and what my perception of them is/was, but if it's aggressive pushers/disciplined callers, then I think some calls that read -$EV in SNGPT are +$EV in reality (but you don't want to take that too far, b/c if you're wrong, you can be very wrong). If I lose, I lose a lot of FE, but I still have a playable stack. I don't have SNGPT in front of me, but with the above factors, I'll make borderline calls sometimes.

Besides, gambling can be fun...
Old 05-27-2007, 08:15 PM

Fair enough, thanks for responding.

Let's be friends, K? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ryan