Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2006, 10:41 PM

Default AK: I give up, I don\'t know what to do here

This is the sixth hand of the Party 200K. I have no reads on my opponent.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG+2 (t2145)
MP1 (t1490)
MP2 (t1095)
MP3 (t1760)
CO (t1590)
Button (t1470)
SB (t1515)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t935)
Hero (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t45</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls t45, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t45, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t157.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, MP3 calls t100, Button folds.

Turn: (t357.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t475</font>

I have no reads on my opponent, but i was wondering if he could make this raise with two pair as well as a straight. Thoughts on any street would be appreciated
Old 02-19-2006, 10:55 PM

Default Re: AK: I give up, I don\'t know what to do here

Preflop: I would raise it more, like to 75, cause I just like making it a real pot with my premiums in the first rounds.

Flop: The board is too drawy, so I would bet the full pot.

Turn: that is a bad card, and your bet is weak and just invites him to take the pot from you, bet like 300 and then if he moves over the top of you you can guess he has you beat. i would put him on QTs probably.

C-Dog
Old 02-19-2006, 11:09 PM

You played it poorly up until the turn, but given the action this is an easy fold. Default random players don't bluff raise here often enough for you to test him.

Bet more on the flop, and don't bet so weak on the turn. I'd probably bet 3/4ths and fold to a raise.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You played it poorly up until the turn, but given the action this is an easy fold. Default random players don't bluff raise here often enough for you to test him.

Bet more on the flop, and don't bet so weak on the turn. I'd probably bet 3/4ths and fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did he play it poorly up until the turn? Pre-flop raise not big enough? To say he played it poorly seems like an over-statement.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:13 PM

You increased your betsize on the flop, but you held it steady on the turn. This screams out weakness and invites aggression.

But given the card that just came, it seems like it requires a mandatory bluff reraise for the person behind you.

Maintaining the same betsize could also be seen by him as you semibluffing a flush draw. How many times have you seen someone put in their semibluff bet and make the same-sized bet on the turn when a brick came?

And I am in favor of a bigger preflop raise this early with a solid hand.

Would anyone check on this turn and act accordingly?
Old 02-20-2006, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How did he play it poorly up until the turn? Pre-flop raise not big enough? To say he played it poorly seems like an over-statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

His betting scheme is just bad. The turn bet is just asking to get abused.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You increased your betsize on the flop, but you held it steady on the turn. This screams out weakness and invites aggression.

But given the card that just came, it seems like it requires a mandatory bluff reraise for the person behind you.

Maintaining the same betsize could also be seen by him as you semibluffing a flush draw. How many times have you seen someone put in their semibluff bet and make the same-sized bet on the turn when a brick came?

And I am in favor of a bigger preflop raise this early with a solid hand.

Would anyone check on this turn and act accordingly?

[/ QUOTE ]

On the turn, I would either bet or check. Make a real bet if you are going to bet. If you check, you may be able to check/call all the way.

You probably have to fold to the raise, but villain could think he is vlue betting a lower 2-pair.

Bet more on the flop. You have a big hand on a danerous board.

Preflop, I don't like to make a bigger raise with AK than other hands. However, big raise might not be bad though if people will call anything in level 1. I would probably play for a limpraise and build a really big pot.