Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2007, 04:58 PM

Default NLH TAP

I presume this has been mentioned but anyway I am confused by the last example in Miller's chapter on Adjusting to weak tight games.

Miller's opponent makes a boat on the turn and Miller procedes to make a river bluff all in when a third flush card hits. He says the guy shows the hand and he was lucky the flush card hit?

I am confused. How does the flush card have to do with anything if his opponent has the boat. His opponent calls on the flop and the turn and he folds when a seven hearts comes on the river?

I have read the book several times and think it is good. Just thought this was odd.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Re: NLH TAP

Yeah i brought up this example like 9 months ago and didn't receive any satisfactory responses. I ultimately decided that this hand is entirely made-up. I mean, how can someone be loose enough to call a raise preflop with 52s and yet tight enough to fold a boat (5th nuts) on the river? At 5-10 NL, this player is a total fiction.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:43 PM

His opponent had trip 5s, not a boat. And it is possible to be loose preflop but then weak-tight when the big bets come out.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:18 AM

I suggest you go back and read it again, he has 5d2d on a [Qh5h5s][2c][7h] board. OP I wondered the same thing.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:27 AM

me too - what a crock of [censored]. And 2p2 (Mason) always goes on about how carefully they edit their manuscripts...
Old 05-27-2007, 06:10 AM

Since Ed isn't around and this hand is likely uninteresting to David I'll chime in.

1. This is presented as a boundary hand: it describes an outer bound of behavior.

2. Weak-tight player made a loose call preflop (very loose if you understand no-limit). I've played in many, many live games where some otherwise weak-tight players do just that, usually late at night. Sooted baby. An expensive mistake, because he must then steal his way to profitability, which he won't be doing.

2. Ed bluffed because of the flush card. He thought he was representing the flush. The bluff paid off even though his read was wrong, because his opponent thought Ed was representing the boat.

3. The third barrel got his weak-tight opponent to violate Zeebo's Law and fold his rowboat.

4. A little background: Ed plays tightly preflop in no-limit, or was at the time of writing the book. His opponent likely had zero reason to think Ed was bluffing and may have thought of Ed as weak-tight, a natural but false association with playing tightly preflop.

My only disagreement with the hand is that loose-aggro games are the most profitable for a good hand reader and bet sizer, not loose-passive.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:47 PM

i think it has been mentioned before that the layed down trips not a full house and the book just contains a typo
Old 05-27-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think it has been mentioned before that the layed down trips not a full house and the book just contains a typo

[/ QUOTE ]

Trip 5s was supposed to be the hand. See Errata list:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...page=&vc=1
Old 05-27-2007, 07:53 PM

thanks. Figured it was a misprint. IMHO the concepts addressed in this book go well beyond anything I have read on NLHE.

I can hardly control my laughter when people say Gordon's LGB is better than TAP.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:48 AM

i loved NLHTAP but i think this should have been a two part series. I think there were more issues about NLH to be discussed that were not mentioned in the book.