Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Changes between 9/18 low room and 20/40 high room

How different are these games at Commerece on weekends at night.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Changes between 9/18 low room and 20/40 high room

Im going to be getting a one time stake (it is possible for more times but i have to prove im a winning player and i cant do it by talking poker with him as he doesnt understand, only short term results will prove it for him) from a semi fish that plays higher there. There is no way i can talk him into staking a br for a long time as he would want instant results, he has no understanding about varience and short term results. Thinking that 4/5 times you should book a win. He wants to buy me in for 2k at 20/40. I know its a crapshoot 2k one time role but if i win i get to keep going, obviously i will be playing slightly though not significantly tighter then usual, as it is more important to book a win then to play optimally because of the risk of ruin. Any comments would be much appreciated. If i change his mindset its even possible for stakes at like 40/80. Obviously not possible to guarantee wins no matter how u play and usually the best way to play is optimally but because of the risk of ruin maybe there is something to discuss here.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:50 AM

you need to explain to that dude the variance involved. if you show him the math, he might not understand it, but he should believe you at least.

i wouldn't take a 50bb stake ever. if he's a good friend of yours, you don't wanna ruin that for a 50bb shot. if you don't know him well, you probably don't wanna lose his money cuz he might break your legs.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:31 AM

I personally think staking in live games doesn't make any sense (for either party) except in very rare circumstances.

Anyhow, based on this thread and other posts by UCLA, I don't think this is a good idea. Sure it's a free-roll for you, but in the end it's unlikely there's going to be a happy ending for this situation. Backer's expectations are unreasonable, and on top of that it's not clear OP has the long-term results to warrant trying these stakes without the bankroll.

I'm curious as to why you want to take the stake? Is it for the money? Is it to try higher stakes without risking any of your own money? Is it to just play the game?

I'd stay away and keep at 9-18 until you have the roll. Yeah, you might win some money, but if so backer will keep backing you until you go off for a big # one day, and ultimately this will cause some bad feelings. Especially for a guy that doesn't understand basic poker results.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:13 PM

Hes 40 years older then me, a nice guy, and runs a salon. I want to to the stake to play higher stakes w/o risking money, he wouldnt do anything bad to me if i lost the money, but i guess i would feel a little bad if i lost, i know though that if i took the stake i would not go into the game feeling bad, knowing that if i felt like this i would have no shoot.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:14 PM

Yeah, you might win some money, but if so backer will keep backing you until you go off for a big # one day

What does this quote mean. He will back me at random times maybe when he has a big win. If he has a rack of whites he wouldnt mind giving me a row.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:32 PM

Ive been getting advice from friends that the 10/20 nl is softer then the 20/40 limit does anybody that has experience in both games agree?
Old 05-26-2007, 06:55 PM

You know that you need alot bigger bankroll to play 10/20 NL than to play 20/40 LHE right? If you play both games you should be asking how the 5/10 compares to 20/40(not sure if they have 5/10) and even 5/10 may be too big for a 20/40 player.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Changes between 9/18 low room and 20/40 high room

[/ QUOTE ]

Free grub makes it ++++++EV.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive been getting advice from friends that the 10/20 nl is softer then the 20/40 limit does anybody that has experience in both games agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL the 10/20 NL is like a 5 times bigger game.

-DeathDonkey