Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 12:24 PM

Default Late Nights and Broken Tables

Hey All,
Last 2 sessions I was running really well in 6/12 and up a bit and then when the table broke I moved to a different table and ended up losing my profits and a bit more until I finally called it a night. The following are some of the reasons why I may have lost and I would like to get your thoughts and opinions on each:

1) Variance
2) Getting tired
3) Shorthanded tables late play different and usually more aggressive
4) Have to learn how the new players at the new table play. Who is passive/aggressive, Who is loose/tight, etc...

I think all of these were factors and I have made a commitment to check myself when it gets late, shorthanded or I get moved. If I am tired I should just leave, even if down a bit. I think when you move to a new table you really have to tighten up and recommit to figuring out how the table in general, and each player in particular is playing to continue doing well.

Your thoughts...
Old 05-25-2007, 12:28 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"
Default Re: Late Nights and Broken Tables

3) Shorthanded tables late play different and usually more aggressive

If you aren't use to them short handed games will eat you allive. The variance goes up quickly, but if you are a better player you get many more opportunities to make a profit.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:55 PM

Yeah I know when it gets shorthanded you have to adjust and actually be more aggressive.
I guess that fact may make it less likley that you could just sit back and observe the players for a while.

Don't you guys have to deal with this shorthanded and broken table situation as it gets later where you play?
What do you do?
Old 05-25-2007, 04:18 PM

do you play any shorthanded online? could help your game. i'm comfy with it online so i am comfy live also.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:30 PM

Shorthanded live games are the best especially when everyone else is still stuck in passive mode. Play some 6max online, even at .25/.50 you'll get the knack for it pretty quickly.

And there's no need to "sit back and observe" and play overly tight when you first sit down at any table. You should usually be able to adjust within one orbit, but make the standard assumptions when you sit down and get up if you are not comfortable.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:04 AM

i love when the table gets to 5-7 players, way more room for being creative and overrunning opponents
Old 05-26-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I know when it gets shorthanded you have to adjust and actually be more aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not entirely true. you can expand your opening ranges more, but just being generically 'more aggressive' is a mistake.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:38 PM

Agreed. I throw away suited connectors if I'm opening a pot, I only call with them if there are already callers+ I have position. Normally, people make the mistake of pounding away pp's with overcards on board, or playing draws super aggressive. They usually bet your hands for you, and you make a lot of profit that way.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:12 PM

Thanks for all responses.
I think the playing shorthanded part of my question was answered suficiently but does anyone have anything to add about the other things that factor in when playing late into the night.

1)When do you know that you are getting tired enough to where it's effecting your game?
and
2)When you are moved to a new table after playing with the same people for 5+ hours how should you play while adjusting to and learning the new players?

Thanks All!
Old 05-29-2007, 10:16 PM

RE: Getting tired. I make myself pick up my chips and leave when I can no longer pay attention to action in hands I've folded PF.