Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 10:40 AM

Default PPA Hires New Lobbyist

POKER PLAYER. Lobbyists should know the issues and the political landscape when they head to Capitol Hill. For John Pappas, the new vice president of government relations for the Poker Players Alliance, being able to play the game helps, too. "I wouldn't say I am the most skilled player," says Pappas of his poker abilities. "But I can hold my own."

Pappas will focus on coordinating lobbying and grassroots efforts to establish licensed and regulated poker in the United States for online and offline players. The alliance, a nonprofit composed of poker players and enthusiasts, is relatively young, but boasts former Sen. Alfonse D'Amato, R-N.Y., as its board chairman. The group, headquartered in San Francisco, is poised to reach the 500,000-member mark soon.

Pappas, most recently an assistant vice president at Dittus Communications, came to Washington almost a decade ago. A native of Phoenix, his first job out of college was as a staff assistant for Rep. John Shadegg, R-Ariz., and he eventually became his communications director.

A University of Arizona graduate, Pappas roots for the Wildcats during March Madness. "My senior year [1997] was the year they won the national basketball championship, which was a sweet exit from college," he says. "I watch every year with the hopes that they will return to their glory."
Old 05-25-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: PPA Hires New Lobbyist

[ QUOTE ]
A University of Arizona graduate, Pappas roots for the Wildcats during March Madness. "My senior year [1997] was the year they won the national basketball championship, which was a sweet exit from college," he says. "I watch every year with the hopes that they will return to their glory."

[/ QUOTE ]

is this a high school newspaper? why did they include this? i take it back, i'm sure my high school newspaper would have written a better article.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:48 PM

Default PPA New Lobbyist to throw PStars, FTP, Absolute under a bus

PPA New Lobbyist to throw PStars, FTP, Absolute under a bus

From "Read between the Lines News Service": PPA has revealed its plan to throw existing US facing online poker rooms under the first bus that comes along.

"Pappas will focus on coordinating lobbying and grassroots efforts to establish licensed and regulated poker in the United States for online and offline players"

Biting the hand that fed them, the PPA leadership has determined that bigger handouts are available from Harrah's, MGM, Venetian, and a re-entering Party Gaming.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Re: PPA New Lobbyist to throw PStars, FTP, Absolute under a bus

How do you get to this interpretation? The NVG forum is a few up on the left, in case you need directions. Otherwise, post something that substantiates your views.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:03 PM

Well, do you think that a regulated industry in the US would welcome Stars, FTP or Absolute ? If so, you are dreaming.

If not, isn't pushing for a regulated US industry akin to shutting them out / "throwing them under a bus" ?

Regulation of the gaming industry means:

1. Barriers to entry
2. A requirement of a "clean" past

I am saying that the PPA maybe DOES represent a view of the interests of US poker players, but it is clearly throwing the existing US-facing online providers to the wolves in its quest for "regulated US poker". PPA is not driving the bus, but it wants no part of the online US sites, except their money and players to claim as "members".

Its position is understandable, in its OWN interest as a lobbying organization and maybe in players' interests, coincidently.

The PPA is a classic evolution of a lobbying effort, deliberately and expressly modelled after the NRA.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:36 PM

IF i'm stuck playing Harrah's online against a new influx of fish, I'm all for it. I don't have emotional ties to a particular site.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, do you think that a regulated industry in the US would welcome Stars, FTP or Absolute ? If so, you are dreaming.

If not, isn't pushing for a regulated US industry akin to shutting them out / "throwing them under a bus" ?

Regulation of the gaming industry means:

1. Barriers to entry
2. A requirement of a "clean" past

I am saying that the PPA maybe DOES represent a view of the interests of US poker players, but it is clearly throwing the existing US-facing online providers to the wolves in its quest for "regulated US poker". PPA is not driving the bus, but it wants no part of the online US sites, except their money and players to claim as "members".

Its position is understandable, in its OWN interest as a lobbying organization and maybe in players' interests, coincidently.

The PPA is a classic evolution of a lobbying effort, deliberately and expressly modelled after the NRA.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are your opinions at best. Everyone is entitled to one, but to say we're "dreaming" to think Stars and Full Tilt will be able to compete in the U.S., and that the PPA is "clearly" throwing these companies to the wolves is just nonsense. As an aside, I don't really care all that much where I end up playing as long as I can play. I love Stars, and I think they're a great company, and I appreciate FTP sticking with the U.S. through all of this, but I feel no obligation to these companies. I'd be a little sad to leave Stars, but I have a feeling after about 30 minutes of 50 VP$IP games full of U.S. fish at MGM.com I'd be feeling a lot better.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:57 PM

The irony of it all ... In other threads various folks either representing 2+2 or following their lead have refused to support the PPA because, they say, the PPA is too much in the pocket of the online sites. Now here's a post by a respected thinker opinining that the PPA will throw those sites to the wolves.

I did like the part about the NRA though, that is THE model of a succesful grassroots lobby.

Skallagrim

PS, it would take a truly tortured series of legal and political events for an online US gaming market to come into existence that did not allow for foreign competition. I am not worried about the future of FTP or Stars, I think you guys give Harrahs to much credit.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:30 PM

If the foreign based sites are paying taxes and license fees, why would the govt care where they're located? Even if they did somehow try to block foreign sites by making them pay more, why wouldn't Stars/FT move their operations into the US? They would gladly spend a bunch of $ moving here if it meant total access to the US market.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

These are your opinions at best. Everyone is entitled to one, but to say we're "dreaming" to think Stars and Full Tilt will be able to compete in the U.S., and that the PPA is "clearly" throwing these companies to the wolves is just nonsense. As an aside, I don't really care all that much where I end up playing as long as I can play. I love Stars, and I think they're a great company, and I appreciate FTP sticking with the U.S. through all of this, but I feel no obligation to these companies. I'd be a little sad to leave Stars, but I have a feeling after about 30 minutes of 50 VP$IP games full of U.S. fish at MGM.com I'd be feeling a lot better.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are not just opinions at best. I pointed out weeks ago that the silence from the established companies on the Frank bill was deafening, and that when the PPA supported the bill they were effectively distancing themselves from some of the companies that have so far provided the biggest membership drives.

In the end this is probably nothing more of a interesting side issue, but I made my initial point in the context of a fragmentation of effort with some bodies and people for legislative developments, and other bodies and people (such as Jay Cohen) against anything that did not bode well personally.