Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Driving Cross Country--Help me pick a Route--Win $20!!!

Ok,

This is the second time I have driven cross country. I am moving from Maryland to San Diego on June 25th. I have to drive cross country because my dog is 500 years old (note avatar picture) and I don't want to put him on a plane. I am traveling with my father in a 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid (so chic heh?) with expectations to get in San Diego by Friday afternoon. I am having some trouble putting together a trip that will be fun and not ghey.

Here is one route I looked into:

Maryland to St. Louis (Monday the 25th of June) to Goodland, KS (Tuesday) to Denver, CO (Wednesday) to Las Vegas (Thursday afternoon) to San Diego (Friday afternoon)

I kind of DONT want to go to Goodland, KS cause it just sounds like a lame ass city. I am trying to find an alternate route for that middle portion.

Here are some conditions to the contest:

I have to leave from Maryland on Monday.
I have to be in Vegas on Thursday afternoon, and I have to be in San Diego on Friday.
I REALLY dont want to go to St. Louis.
I will not drive through Texas for even 1 second.
I have done the southern route cross country before.

SO REALLY all you have to do is find me an alternative route for Monday - Wednesday so I get to Vegas on Thursday by later afternoon/early evening.

Here are some of our interests (My father and I):

Horse Racing (anywhere)
Concerts (indie-alternative-rock)
Baseball

$20 to the person that creates a trip for me to get to Vegas by Thursday June 28th, that I approve. I will select one winner. Winner can choose Paypal or Full Tilt Poker as form of payment.

Of course, I will answer all questions to help out.

Good Luck to all and TIA.

fyc

(To the dbags that know me well, I will pay you double; cause I know you care!!)
Old 05-25-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Driving Cross Country--Help me pick a Route--Win $20!!!

mon- md to chicago
tues- cubs or chisox game
wed- chi to denver
thurs- denver to vegas
fri- vegas to sd
Old 05-25-2007, 01:44 AM

Good start. The Chi to Den 2nd (well 3rd day) is very brutal. Especially after a night out in Chicago after the game.

fyc
Old 05-25-2007, 01:50 AM

I've driven md to reno/tahoe about 10 times. Once reno/tahoe to la to md.

Getting to st louis in one day is a pretty long day. 55 pretty much the whole way, and decent traffic. But if you can do that then st louis to end of kansas is pretty easy(and boring). I've made it to summit county on 2nd day before, though it was pretty late when we got in.

I'd assume you have stuff you want to do in denver since your third day involves very little driving.

You can do northern route to co also. Its pretty much the same amount of time. md-> penn turnpike-> lincoln-> co. I probably prefer that route.

If you want an alternative to spending time in denver. Go to summit county for lunch on 3rd day, then drive to crested butte for dinner. Its a great town and a fun drive. It will be a little tight for getting to vegas by mid afternoon next day if you don't drive more that night though, and the roads leaving crested butte are kinda desolate.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:00 AM

Mon - MD to Detroit

Detroit plays Texas at 7PM, so as long as you leave Maryland in the morning, you should be able to make the game with ease.

Tuesday - Detroit, MI to Omaha, NE

Little over 11 hour trip (you'll gain an hour) and has ponies.

Wednesday - Omaha, NE to Aurora, CO

Denver sucked because the Rockies weren't in and I don't think you want to pay $100 a pop to go see The Goo Goo Dolls. Aurora has ponies and is about an 8 hour drive (plus you'll gain an hour).

Thursday - Aurora, OC to Las Vegas, NV

11 hour trip which seems like a little bit of a bummer to Vegas afternoon, but shouldn't be a problem if you leave Aurora early enough and you are gaining an hour.

Friday - Las Vegas, NV to San Diego, CA

Home sweet home. Beers on Iggy!

Total Est. Time: 43 hours, 33 minutes Total Est. Distance: 2914.87 miles
Old 05-25-2007, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've driven md to reno/tahoe about 10 times. Once reno/tahoe to la to md.

Getting to st louis in one day is a pretty long day. 55 pretty much the whole way, and decent traffic. But if you can do that then st louis to end of kansas is pretty easy(and boring). I've made it to summit county on 2nd day before, though it was pretty late when we got in.

I'd assume you have stuff you want to do in denver since your third day involves very little driving.

You can do northern route to co also. Its pretty much the same amount of time. md-> penn turnpike-> lincoln-> co. I probably prefer that route.

If you want an alternative to spending time in denver. Go to summit county for lunch on 3rd day, then drive to crested butte for dinner. Its a great town and a fun drive. It will be a little tight for getting to vegas by mid afternoon next day if you don't drive more that night though, and the roads leaving crested butte are kinda desolate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the STL route on day one sucks. I am not opposed to being top heavy in the front of the trip. Two 12 hour days for something cool then Vegas isn't a bad cc trip at all. I am also open to desolate roads.

Whats more fun then good music, people, dogs and the pavement?

fyc
Old 05-25-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mon - MD to Detroit

Detroit plays Texas at 7PM, so as long as you leave Maryland in the morning, you should be able to make the game with ease.

Tuesday - Detroit, MI to Omaha, NE

Little over 11 hour trip (you'll gain an hour) and has <a href="www.horsemenspark.com" target="_blank">ponies</a>.

Wednesday - Omaha, NE to Aurora, CO

Denver sucked because the Rockies weren't in and I don't think you want to pay $100 a pop to go see The Goo Goo Dolls. Aurora has ponies and is about an 8 hour drive (plus you'll gain an hour).

Thursday - Aurora, OC to Las Vegas, NV

11 hour trip which seems like a little bit of a bummer to Vegas afternoon, but shouldn't be a problem if you leave Aurora early enough and you are gaining an hour.

Friday - Las Vegas, NV to San Diego, CA

Home sweet home. Beers on Iggy!

Total Est. Time: 43 hours, 33 minutes Total Est. Distance: 2914.87 miles

[/ QUOTE ]

Sups Igg's. I like the start of the trip. I have never been to a Tigers or Cubs game, so that isn't a bad start (Cubs suggested by first poster). I really don't want to have to put 12 hours in later in the trip if I can avoid it. I do like some of your ideas.

fyc
Old 05-25-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good start. The Chi to Den 2nd (well 3rd day) is very brutal. Especially after a night out in Chicago after the game.

fyc

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't really have a suggestion, but Chi to Denver in one day is not really possible, I went from casper , WY to Evanston (~= chi) from 9 AM sunday to 5AM monday including a stop at mt. rushmore.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't want to have to put 12 hours in later in the trip if I can avoid it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did Amarillo, TX to San Diego in one day. 18 hours, then I unpacked my car... and this was all by myself.

I did want to put a bullet through my head though and I was freakin out of it the whole next day.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:07 AM

Drive: 704 mi (about 11 hours 22 mins)

To: Chicago, IL

Drive: 1,004 mi (about 14 hours 35 mins)

To: Denver, CO

Drive: 448 mi (about 6 hours 25 mins)

To: Albuquerque, NM

Drive: 573 mi (about 8 hours 17 mins)

To: Las Vegas, NV

Drive: 332 mi (about 5 hours 0 mins)

To: San Diego, CA