Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Kicking out a roommate advice

Well i own a house and rent out a few of the rooms to people. I am having a pretty bad problem with one of them. A little background, he has lived with me for a year. His sins include

-He doesnt clean up after himself in the kitchen. I end up doing at least 50% of his dishes, the rest he just plops in the dishwasher, he has never emptied the dishwasher. This wouldnt be so bad, except he makes 9 course meals every night, so our stove top has dirty dishes sitting on at least 3 of the burners, sometimes 4. Also he slops food all over teh countertops, tiling, stove and never ever cleans this up

-He basically has a girlfriend that is always here. She sleeps here 5 nights a week and is annoying as hell

-He is loud as [censored]. He wakes up to go to work at 7am and spends an hour every morning being loud in the kitchen which has a shared wall to my bedroom. He bangs pots and pans, runs the garbage disposal for 15m and runs the electric coffee grinder every morning.

-He leaves all lights and tv on nonstop. If he is home, every light in the house is on, its a relatively decent sized ouse so this is a lot of lights. If i come home at 2-3am an he is in bed on average there will be 2 lights he left on i hafta shut off.

-He once spraypainted something in our garage and managed to spray paint half the stuff in our garage including my old high school golf bag, our bowflex, etc.

I have bitched him out numerous times for all of these offenses (except the gf one) and basically nothing changes. Im sure you are gonna say, if you dont like him then why not just get rid of him? Well we have a lot of mutual friends, he used to be a really close friend. I am somewhat scared of the impact this is going to have on our mutual friends.

I know some of this stuff sounds somewhat nitpicky, not the end of the world, but after a year of constantly cleaning up after someone who is very messy it wears you down. Also never getting a good nights sleep all the way thru hurts too. Thanks for the advice ahead of time.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Kicking out a roommate advice

[ QUOTE ]
He once spraypainted something in our garage and managed to spray paint half the stuff in our garage including my old high school golf bag, our bowflex, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
I find this hilarious for some reason.

1. You'll get more responses if you post pics of the mess he leaves behind and/or pics of him and/or his semi-live-in girlfriend.

2. It appears he hasn't signed a lease, right? Just tell him you want him out, explain why and then he'll either a) straighten up and fly right or c) leave, both of which are good for you.

All of those things are pretty heinous offenses, but the big one for me would be making noise when I'm trying to sleep. Big no-no, particularly during sleep hours.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:51 PM

Pics of his lathe please
Old 05-24-2007, 02:55 PM

um tell him to leave. if u still like him tell him this is his last chance. tell himk his GF cant be there every night. basically be a man.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:20 PM

Tell him you value him too much as a friend to keep living with him as a roommate. I doubt this is true, but that's irrelevant.

Also, give me a month, tops. Be firm about a solid move out date and stick to it. Offer no sympathy if he whines.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pics of his lathe please

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored], this was going to be my post
Old 05-24-2007, 03:25 PM

Tell him you've been dreaming about him.

Those kinds of dreams...
Old 05-24-2007, 03:27 PM

Maybe tell him you need to use his room for something and if he could start looking for a new place to live it would be very nice and it's nothing personal but you just need him to get out. It's your house, he should understand.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe tell him you need to use his room for something and if he could start looking for a new place to live it would be very nice and it's nothing personal but you just need him to get out. It's your house, he should understand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tell him you need his room to store your lathe.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:32 PM

Im really not asking how to tell him. Mainly just asking if i am justified in doing it.