Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 01:16 AM

Default hand against moron in UB $33 Rebuy

28 left in UB $33 Rebuy, 20 paid, 9-handed table

Blinds 600/1200/a125, avg stack ~ 34K

Moron doubled up a few hands ago by open limping Q5s with a 10BB stack in EP, getting a free card on a 4-handed flop, turning a flush then getting paid off by another short stack who had him barely covered.

Moron is fairly new to the table so no other read.

Moron (24K) on button open limps. SB folds. Hero raises the pot in the BB w K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Moron calls.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Pot=12,375)

Hero has ~16,600 left. Moron covers (barely).

What do you do and why?

Later,
Che
Old 05-24-2007, 01:21 AM

Default Re: hand against moron in UB $33 Rebuy

I probably overbet the pot to begin with such that my stack is about 80-90% of the pot on the flop, then I just push every flop.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably overbet the pot to begin with such that my stack is about 80-90% of the pot on the flop, then I just push every flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

go and go basically. so yeah, make pf raise bigger, then shove this flop and any other except like KTT obv.

honestly, i almost prefer checking to the size raise you made because he's really never folding preflop to that size IMO
Old 05-24-2007, 02:41 AM

I don't know if it matter that much whether you set up a go and go. The money goes in anyway on most flop.

Here I would bet close to pot or push. You have a gutshot and can represent an ace.

Against this opponent, I would probably just push preflop. That probably has the most FE against a station.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:05 AM

First off, I don't think I'd raise this preflop if i have a read on villain being a station because if I whiff the flop I'll be OOP with an akward stack size and have no idea if the flop hit villain or not since he is obv. bad enough to call a raise here w/ a wide range of hands. By keeping the pot small you'll be more able to induce mistakes from donk-villain later on in the hand.

Concerning the flop, any bet here pretty much commits you to the pot and this flop sucks pretty hard for your hand. I'd just check-fold if villain bets, if he checks behind I'd lead a lot of turns though.

edit: reading other replies a go-and-go is fine, but yea adjust your preflop raise so it won't be such an overpush on the flop
Old 05-24-2007, 05:32 AM

Moron is probably a calling station and this flop looks like it may have hit him. Pushing looks suicidal to me. I'd check-fold.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
go and go basically. so yeah, make pf raise bigger, then shove this flop and any other except like KTT obv.

honestly, i almost prefer checking to the size raise you made because he's really never folding preflop to that size IMO

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed, he sounds like the type of moron who will call any non-push raise. Isn't a push just better?
Old 05-24-2007, 06:04 AM

AAPlayer, I definitely don't like checking. Given the read in the OP his range here could easily be 70% and the range with which he'll call a reraise is often going to be ridiculously wide. By checking you're missing a great chance to rip off 1/3 his stack when he whiffs the flop with his 810 offsuit and you also have a hard time playing postflop because he could have any two cards and will float you with a ton of stuff, including gutshots and bottom pair, making it very difficult to put him on a hand.

Betgo and Soulman, I don't like pushing for some of the same reasons. I feel that shutting him out of the hand takes away his chance to give us way too many chips with a hand that misses way too many flops.

All we have to do is put in a few more thousand preflop (make it like 7k more instead of 4k more) and the hand plays very easily and very profitably.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

All we have to do is put in a few more thousand preflop (make it like 7k more instead of 4k more) and the hand plays very easily and very profitably.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, a go-n-go is fine here. But if I have to choose between raising the amount OP raised, which leaves us with such an ackward stack size postflop, or check, i rather check.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:34 AM

The way I see it you raised to 6,000 pf. I don't like that at all. For the reason AAPlayer05 stated and the fact that you only have ~55% chance to win this hand e.i. he is a calling station and he has position.
KTs is not that good a hand HU if you don't hit the flop.

But done is done.
Here I would bet ½ the pot - see http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/c...treib0507.html for why exactly ½ the pot.

I would think that he would fold about the same hands to a ½ pot bet as he would to an allin. If he calls or raises be done with the hand. He could have Ax, Qx or xx.