Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 12:50 AM

Default Live Tournament hand...

First time playing poker for about 6 months. $50 tournament with one $50 rebuy at lucky chances. It was a couple days ago, but I think the details are roughly correct:

Blinds 25/50. I've taken my rebuy, so I have T2500. Most players at the table have ~T1000 (have not taken rebuy). No reads on the players in this hand. 3 limpers plus the SB completes to me in the BB, where I find 99. I check.

So 5 to the flop with a pot of T250.
Flop is 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (neither of my 9s is a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] fwiw). SB checks. I check. EP bets 200. MP calls. All fold to me (no one between me and EP). EP and MP both have between 900-1000. I push.

Standard? Pretty awful players, so I didn't see a point to raising preflop; just going to create a multiway pot out of position. If I thought I could have gotten everyone but one player to fold, I might have gone with raise-to-300, push any flop.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Live Tournament hand...

I still raise preflop, regardless if it'll be multi-way or whatever.

They have 20xbb, let them call off 1/4 of their stack with whatever the [censored] they're limping.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:45 AM

Standard IMHO

I like the preflop check since you will hate nearly every flop without a 9 and you'll be OOP multiway based on your read. I guess pushing isn't terrible, but I like the check better.

Leading the flop creates the same thing you were trying to avoid preflop: getting multiple callers when you are OOP and will hate nearly any turn card. So, check-raise all-in and cross your fingers. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Later
Che
Old 05-24-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I still raise preflop, regardless if it'll be multi-way or whatever.

They have 20xbb, let them call off 1/4 of their stack with whatever the [censored] they're limping.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that if I think I'll get one player calling, since he'll likely be making a mistake. If I get 3 callers though, caller 3 (and possibly caller 2) are probably not making mistakes given the odds they are going to be getting (i.e. they probably have at least *one* overcard).
Old 05-24-2007, 02:18 AM

I'd almost definitely raise PF especially if they only have 1k stacks.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:01 AM

Pf is a pretty clear raise because of stacks, and post flop i like your line a lot.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I get 3 callers though, caller 3 (and possibly caller 2) are probably not making mistakes given the odds they are going to be getting (i.e. they probably have at least *one* overcard).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not how this works.

There are plenty of times when allowing someone to play correctly is still the right thing to do.

To give a simple example, you are 100xbb deep and raise AA utg 3.5xbb. It is correct for anyone to call with TT. Does this mean you should've raised more preflop? No.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:14 AM

I like postflop a lot. If they fold 2 overs and a draw they are making a huge mistake and they will do this often.

Pf is a raise and I like evg's analogy about letting people play correctly
Old 05-24-2007, 06:54 AM

Your position makes this pretty easy to play. Let's say you raise to t375, and BTN calls. Pot will be like 1k, and villain will have less than pot left, so your c-bet will be AI regardless.

Also, given stacks I think you'll take this down preflop pretty often. If you don't, then no worries, you probably have the best hand.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:51 PM

Couple of points:

1. Most turn cards are going to make you vomit.

2. These other guys have a rebuy left so you may get a wide calling range like A8, A5, any single club, 77, 66, 44, 67, 46, 42, 79 etc., even something like AT, KQ.

3. If you get beat this hand, you have 30BBs.

All signs point to shove.