Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Only raising preflop? Never limp?

I posted this apparently in the wrong section of this forum (<--- PL/NL Texas Hold'em, Micro Stakes), so here is my second try [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] .

(1)Somewhere on this forum (I lost the direct link) I've red that on 25NL 6-handed you should raise every pair, Axs and every suited connector on the CO and the button. UTG you should tighten up and play only 22+, AQ+ and sometimes KQs. In middle position you should never openlimp, but always raise.

This leads to the fact that you seldom call, but almost always raise preflop? Is that right?

(2)I play 8-handed on CDPoker and on other sites I play fullring, how does this preflop raising strategy change for me then?

Maybe this is a stupid question, but I'm still learning...
Old 05-23-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Only raising preflop? Never limp?

your 6max utg range is too tight with broadway hands

Old 05-23-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your 6max utg range is too tight with broadway hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Its OK for full ring UTG though.

[ QUOTE ]
(2)I play 8-handed on CDPoker and on other sites I play fullring, how does this preflop raising strategy change for me then?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK for 8 handed too.

[ QUOTE ]
This leads to the fact that you seldom call, but almost always raise preflop? Is that right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

Typical disclaimer applies: there is no "correct" way to play, and many people have success with widely different strategies. This is the party-line on TAG play, though, and you got it right... seldom call, almost always raise.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:02 PM

If it's folded to you and your hand is good enough to play, it's good enough to raise.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's folded to you and your hand is good enough to play, it's good enough to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]This is a debatable statement.

I have played both styles (always raise vs. sometimes limp). Right now I am exploring limping from MP sometimes. I don't do it very often, however.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the replies!
Old 05-23-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right now I am exploring limping from MP sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try limping in from the button when first in.... it really messes with their minds [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2007, 05:24 PM

I've played successfully both ways, and I think if you're multitabling you need a tighter, raising game to keep the decision-making straightforward. Limping should only happen late in multiway pots with speculative hands.

If one-tabling and experienced in reading, I think a much looser calling game is way more profitable though.

By this I mean sometimes calling, sometimes raising, you do have to coherently call some strong hands and raise some speculative hands at a steady frequency (I use 27/75, so strong hands raise 75% of the time, 25% call in unopened pots, and speculative hands raise 25% of the time, call 75% of the time in unopened pots) to properly disguise hand strength.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:32 PM

In FR I'll limp from MP with suited connectors, suited aces and pocket pairs under 88.

These are all speculative hands. You're hoping to see a flop cheaply and flop a monster. Most likely, you'll just flop a monser draw.

Keep in mind that you probably don't want to limp at all with speculative hands if you have reason to belive you will be raised from LP or the Button. You don't want to be playing draws from OOP. You can stand a raise from the Blinds with these speculative hands, since you will have position after the flop.

I don't play speculative hands at all in EP because it is too likely you will be raised pre-flop. Neither do I play them in the Blinds since you will be OOP on every street after the flop. You can play small pocket pairs, however, since you are playing those for set value, and you either flop a set or you don't.

Be sure to always remember the Rule of 5 & 10.

And I always raise speculative in LP & the Button, along with my big pairs, since a c-bet on the flop usually takes the pot down anyway, regardless of what you hold.

And that's why most 6-Max players raise from LP & the Button with ATC. And that is why most 6-Max players also 3-bet light from the blinds.

And those are two reasons why I don't play 6-max....
Old 05-23-2007, 05:37 PM

Interesting point is maybe that if there is a raise from EP and a few callers, you might though be able to play SC's or suited one gappers from the blinds because you have good relative position. How do others think about this?