Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 03:25 AM

Default Is this terrible?

Online 10/20 6max

LAG opens on the button I 3bet A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] out of the SB. BB folds, LAG calls.

Flop 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I Bet, LAG raise, I call
Turn 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
check, LAG bet, I call
River 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
check, LAG bet, I call
Old 05-23-2007, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Is this terrible?

no. its atrocious(2 steps past terrible)
Old 05-23-2007, 04:53 AM

I read wackjob's reply before I actually read the hand so I expected it to be bad, but this looks pretty standard to me. Depending on what kind of lag he is I could easily fold preflop but postflop I don't see any other way to play it. The river completes hearts/67, but there's infinite other straight draws out there, the pot is decent sized, our opponent is aggressive and this is a reasonable card for him to think we might fold if he is thinking so I think we should call. If he's not thinking then we call because people that aren't thinking do a lot of betting without thinking.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:01 AM

If it's atrocious then I'm whatever is between atrocious and terrible.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:20 AM

This is 3 handed? I take it LAG will open with 41% of hands, as that is what it takes for it to be a coin flip as to whether you'll have the best hand on the River.

Are the games so loose/aggressive at this limit, that you have to press your hands that are coin flips, or is this LAG going to open/raise with more hands?

I take it that if he's aggressive, he'll bet his decent Aces to the River?

Are there a lot of players who "bet without thinking" as HOWMANY put it, at this limit?

Call me Weak/Tight, however, I don't play this hand unless I know my opponent's willing to open raise with about 60% of starting hands, giving me about a 53% edge Preflop.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no. its atrocious(2 steps past terrible)

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man i hope not.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:29 AM

If this is atrocious, I suck even harder than I suspected.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:54 PM

this is fine, folding on the flop or turn would be real weak, hes raising a ton of air/ draws on the flop and should rarely be raising a hand like Tx or 8x here vs a sb 3bettor and probably never has overpairs, so his flop raising range should be sets and draws, vs many lags theyd never not wait to raise their sets so that makes calling the flop/turn even easier, and probably includes some Tx or mid PP hands he shouldnt actually be raising IMO, which we have 5 outs against likely. Our equity against his range is to great to fold on any street I think.

On the river a lot of the draws hit but theres still enough where the river call cant be a huge mistake with these pot odds even just against 97s J9 or QJ and not including any totally random air. Folding on a total blank like a 2 8 T or whatever would def be a mistake here I think, w/o a read he almost always gives up by the river, even then its probably close.

Im not sure if preflop is +EV, but to say any street in this hand is atrocious is pretty overblown.

basically I wouldnt 3bet preflop unless I had an idea how he played postflop IMO but after u did that I play every street the same altho i probably hate it while calling any river esp this one, but still I think we gotta do it.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:07 PM

This is well-played. Lag is raising the flop here hit or miss about 90% of the time probably.

edit: of course depends how laggy you're talking. if he's the 50/30 type w/ attempt to steal over 50%, then it's unquestionably EV+.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:18 PM

If 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] came on turn I would fold. I don't know, I guess river call is ok and I like flop and turn calls.

I may not 3bet pf depending on what kind of lag he is.