Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Hidden kings facing some heat heads-up

Villain is a regular in the 2/4-5/10 stud games on FT, seems to be a reasonable player (and likely a winning one). He probably views me as a reasonable player as well - I'm pretty tight on 3rd street.

How did I play this hand overall? Is folding the river justified, or should I be calling for pot odds? I feel like I can strongly assume Im beat here, but does that mean I should have folded 6th? How often do you think kings up would be good on the river here?

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.40, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (5.65 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.83 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (7.83 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

River - (9.83 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

Total pot: (9.83 BB - $39.30)
Old 05-22-2007, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Hidden kings facing some heat heads-up

Where is everybody.

Gotta call.

Patty
Old 05-22-2007, 09:54 PM

Oops I thought you had kings up.

Patty
Old 05-22-2007, 09:56 PM

OK I've got it together now. Fold 6th if he is unimaginative or gamble if you like. Fold the river.

Patty
Old 05-23-2007, 12:56 AM

I think that on fifth street, the other guy is telling you that he's made trip Queens, or maybe he was rolled. If you believe him, that's the time to give up. If he might be doing this with pocket Aces, you call, but then he's got you drawing dead on sixth. If you think he's making a move, you can call down, but I'm guessing that that's not very common at $2/4.

I'm calling down, of course.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:44 PM

I do an information call down here. Obviously you play with him regularly, so I'd like to know what hand he is completing on 3rd in this spot and slow playing. Do I think we'll good? Meh..we could be good enough times to warrant the call if he's just making a move, but I doubt it's +EV in the short run...but in the long run yes, because we get the information from this hand which will affect future hands vs same opponent.

That's one thing I think a lot of people don't consider when they look at an individual hand - like that hand posted with the J83 or something versus open aces a day or so back. While it REALLY looks like we're beat, if we're going to play with this person on a regular basis, it's sometimes best to call down and take information from the hand.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:30 PM

I think it's important to remember that you only have an 8 in the door. So if he got a bit frisky with a hand like (5Q)5 and has now made queens up, I think he'd raise here. I'd probably play it just as you did, expecting kings up to be good enough times to make a river call profitable.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:17 PM

While it looks like you are beat, if you are calling 6th, you are calling the river here. he does not know you have buried kings. we do not know for sure what he has. I do not like the posiition you are in, but you gotto to pick up those chips and toss them to the center.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:25 PM

That's it. Other people raise for information. I call down for information. I like that.