Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 04:30 PM

Default heads up/very shorthanded strategy and considerations

I tried searching, but had no luck finding information (though I know a lot is out there) on HU and 3-handed play at tables, so I'll throw this post out for some insight.

First off, what sorts of hands should I be starting with? I really only know that Q7o is the middle of the pack against a random hand, so I tend to raise any hand bigger than that, but I know that is a mistake/spewing. I guess a more reasonable range to raise would be 22+, any suited ace, any suited king, any two cards 10 or higher, and suited connectors??? Help me out here, this is really a guess. Also, how does one respond to a 3-bet, generally? Muck easily dominatable hands and call relying on implied odds with hands like PPs and suited connectors?

The thing I am more clueless about is how to play OOP. What is a good calling range here?? Something like 22+, AT+, KJ+, SCs? This may be way off...

Finally, how should I tailor aggression and looseness to a HU or shorthanded game? With position, I feel calling a flop bet with any connection with the board is often good (with the ability to take away on the turn or check behind for a draw/pot control, or fold to further aggression). I pretty much fire any connection with the board on the turn after a standard c-bet (if raised PF), and if called on the turn, will evaluate the river as necessary. OOP though, tighten up and tone down aggression?

Sorry, this post is rambling and full of questions, but I am very clueless how to play when there are just a few people at the table and I just tend to leave and find a full 6-max game.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: heads up/very shorthanded strategy and considerations

Theres a heads up forum link to your left.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: heads up/very shorthanded strategy and considerations

[ QUOTE ]
Theres a heads up forum link to your left.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope we can get some better answers than this. 3 and 4 handed play is very interesting, but doesn't get discussed much. If you're really interested I posted a thread several months ago about this subject that got a few replies but nothing earth-shattering.

As a rough guide you should imagine that you're playing a 6 max game but without the early positions and open with a similar range to your BT and CO opening range.

The harder part is dealing with 3betting etc. I suppose you just have to work out what your opponents' ranges are and go from there. I don't know what the equilibrium ranges turn out to be. I can't really comment on this too much, but I'd be interested to hear more replies.