Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Phil Laak: Why Has This Guy Never Gotten a Big Sponsorship Deal?

What's with Phil Laak and sponsorship deals?? Why has he never gotten a big deal with any of the big pokersites? The guy is famous in the poker world, everyone knows his name. He is also very popular and well liked. I know he is a nut but so is The Mouth and he got a sweet deal with Full Tilt.

Why no deals for The Unabomber?
Old 05-22-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Phil Laak: Why Has This Guy Never Gotten a Big Sponsorship Deal?

The offered him a million a year and he laughed it off and said quit wasting my time. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2007, 01:56 PM

He'd rather crack safes
Old 05-22-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The offered him a million a year and he laughed it off and said quit wasting my time kid. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-22-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The offered him a million a year and he laughed it off and said quit wasting my time kid. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So sick.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:36 PM

because he's a drug addict?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:39 PM

Because he is annoying beyond belief.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's with Phil Laak and sponsorship deals?? Why has he never gotten a big deal with any of the big pokersites? The guy is famous in the poker world, everyone knows his name. He is also very popular and well liked. I know he is a nut but so is The Mouth and he got a sweet deal with Full Tilt.

Why no deals for The Unabomber?

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Laak and Jennifer Tilly missed their opportunity.

Both had agreed to be the spokespersons for PKR.NET, which delayed and delayed and delayed its launch until after the UIGEA was passed.

After the UIGEA passed, PKR.NET rescinded its offer to Phil Laak and Jennifer Tilly.

I understand that both Phil and Jennifer approached UltimateBet.NET, but were turned down.

UltimateBet.NET further cut its marketing cost in the U.S. by terminating the endorsement contract of Antonio Esfandiari in April.

About the only chance that Jennifer Tilly has of getting a "Tier 1" spokesperson sponsorship deal is if Hong Kong and/or China were to open up to poker and Jennifer were to sign with one of the government monopolies. She will have to learn Chinese in order to be useful in that part of the world (she was born "Jennifer Chan" and I believe her birth father spoke Cantonese.)

--

U.S. players who have no language skills besides English has ZERO chance of being a "Tier 1" spokesperson for an online poker "school" after the Neteller fiasco in January. The only choice right now, if they can get it, is a "Tier 2" deal with FullTiltPoker.NET.

(Paul Wasicka, Shannon Elizabeth, and Erica Schoenberg got "Tier 2" deals with FullTiltPoker.NET after the Neteller fiasco. I don't know yet whether a former client, J.C. Tran, will take a similar deal. Robert Williamson III is another player who was shopping around.)

The two big name "world champions" with U.S. passports got their deals renewed with PokerStars.net before the Neteller fiasco so they are safe for another year. After that, who knows?

Old 05-22-2007, 02:46 PM

The thing I don't get is why Jen (Phil, too, but especially Jen) would be interested in sponsorship a all.

She's a highly accomplished movie star who (as we know) has made tens of millions of dollars in Hollywood, so I would think she'd have little interest in shilling for an online gambling site or learning Cantonese "in order to be useful." Lolovert. And with a sugar momma like that, no way I'd be trying to put on an ugly jersey for a poker site, if I were Phil.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing I don't get is why Jen (Phil, too, but especially Jen) would be interested in sponsorship a all.

She's a highly accomplished movie star who (as we know) has made tens of millions of dollars in Hollywood,

[/ QUOTE ]

oh rly? plz visit imdb, search for jennifer tilly s movies and repeat that sentence [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]