Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 06:39 PM

Default QTs Hand on a pretty-ugly flop from $1,000 Borgata tourney 05/20/2007

This hand occured 4 levels into the Borgata $1,000 buyin $250K guaranteed tourney yesterday. t10,000 in starting chips. Blinds are at 200-400 with a 50t ante. I have just tripled up and currently have about t35K. My image might be a bit shaky as I just tripled up and a few hands since, I've been very noticeable, having called on the flop on a 234 two spade board with 55 after an all-in and a raise from two shorter stacks. I was up against QJspades and KK (very unexpected since he limped preflop). Either way, people think I'm being donktastic and attempting to bully now that I've got some chips.

Villain has about 9K in chips and has not been at the table very long (maybe about 1.5 orbits). He definitely is capable of making laydowns and strikes me as a generally tight player, as for preflop reraising standards, it might be widened a little given my donktasmicosity.

It's folded to me in MP and I look down and find Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in MP and raise to t1600. It folds to the villain on the button who makes a min-raise to t3200 to go leaving him with a little over 5K. t5900 in the pot and t1600 to call. I call.

Pot is now at t7500

Flop comes 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

So yeah, it's pretty because I got a pretty big draw, but ugly in that it's a seemingly safe flop for villain's range as well, limiting my options.

Hero:??

So the options here are
a) check and call a probable all-in bet - I do not like this as villain will push on this flop with pretty much anything if I check to him.
b) check and fold to the all-in bet - Meh, as this is a pretty good flop for me.
c) check with the intention of raising - Irrelevant as there will most likely not be a chance for me to raise after I check.
d) check and hope he checks too - Like I said before, villain will probably push with anything if I check.
e) Bet and fold to a raise - Yuck. There is no amount that I can bet with the pot this size where he won't immediately put the rest of his money in.
f) Put villain all-in for t5100 - This is probably the best option, but villain probably is not going to be folding much here, or will he?

I appreicate your responses.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Re: QTs Hand on a pretty-ugly flop from $1,000 Borgata tourney 05/20/2007

I would push the flop. You are 30% against AA and 49% against 99, assuming villain doesn't have a diamond. In this situation, I am not sure the minireraise is a big pair, and you are close to pot odds if it is.