Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Low Power Supply

I have a Dell comp, fairly new and for the past couple of months I have been getting a message everytime I turn my computer on that says something like "Power Supply Low, do you wanna boot up computer? Hit F1 to continue." That is the just of it, but I really dont know the exact quote. I can roll w/ 2 monitors completely fine, but I cant play video games like CS:Source anymore. It auto shuts my computer down after a fairly random time. What should I do?

ALSO: Would this cause my ATI Graphics card to run abnormaly hot which also results in computer shut downs?

How can I find the solution? 1st Im gonna use some different outlets, but Id be very suprised if it was the outlet. Second Im gonna use somebody elses power cord, if that dosnt solve it can I assume it is the thing that the power cord plugs into? (Which is inside the computer).

Thanks, Im a comp noob.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Low Power Supply

[ QUOTE ]
can I assume it is the thing that the power cord plugs into? (Which is inside the computer).

[/ QUOTE ]
That thing is called the "Power Supply". So, yes.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a Dell comp, fairly new and for the past couple of months I have been getting a message everytime I turn my computer on that says something like "Power Supply Low, do you wanna boot up computer? Hit F1 to continue." That is the just of it, but I really dont know the exact quote. I can roll w/ 2 monitors completely fine, but I cant play video games like CS:Source anymore. It auto shuts my computer down after a fairly random time. What should I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your computer tells you that your power supply is low, it is probably worthwhile to increase your power supply.

If you're willing to pull your PC apart, you can simply insert a larger power supply.

[ QUOTE ]
ALSO: Would this cause my ATI Graphics card to run abnormaly hot which also results in computer shut downs?

[/ QUOTE ]
I suspect this is unlikely, however, if you have a low power supply, less power should be getting to your graphics card - thus, it is unlikely to overheat.

[ QUOTE ]
How can I find the solution? 1st Im gonna use some different outlets, but Id be very suprised if it was the outlet. Second Im gonna use somebody elses power cord, if that dosnt solve it can I assume it is the thing that the power cord plugs into? (Which is inside the computer).

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless your power cord is fraying and shooting sparks around the place, it is unlikely that your power cord is the cause of any troubles you have.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:01 PM

I can't imagine your computer telling you your power supply is low if this is not a laptop. Write it down next time or take a picture of it with your cell phone or something.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:46 PM

Wow, smart compter. Lets assume that what its telling you is true. Whats the Watts on your current power supply? What graphics card and processor are you running? Have you considered getting a better cooling unit for your g-card. And if your card really is overheating, what are you doing when this happens.