Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Question about raising limpers with a big hand...

I find myself losing alot of pots(at $25NL)when Im raising limpers with say AA or KK etc. Then Im getting boards that appear to be safe... say 553 or something like that, and people are limp calling with all kinds of interesting hands and out flopping me. I normally make it my normal raise + 1 BB per limper... for example... 1 limper I am making it $1.25 to go. Is this enough? Or at $25NL should I really be making a limper pay to get to the flop with me?
Old 05-21-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Question about raising limpers with a big hand...

If you're on the Button or SB for example and 5 people have limped in, I don't even wannna see a flop. Bet like $2.50 and pickup 5BB when everyone folds. That's probably more than your average winrate with pocket aces.

If there are 3 limpers I make it like $1.50 ~ $2.00. On a 553 board I would make a c-bet of just a little over half the potsize. That's often enough to let someone who missed the flop fold. (On a drawy board you can make a bigger c-bet.)
If I'm called, while the board looks not to dangerous (like 553) then I'm cautious. I have no problem with checking-calling the turn and check-calling the river.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:30 PM

You are making them pay to see the flop, no need to overraise.

Just learn how to play postflop poker better.

Sometimes you lose with these big hands, but you also win more when you win for a larger overall win than you would have with everyone folding.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:28 PM

I think my post flop poker in these situations is pretty standard, Im making a 3/4 pot bet at these paired flops and when I get smooth called Im really putting on the breaks and usually check calling. I just continue to see hands like 37 suited, 59 suited, etc getting in there with me and Im dropping medium sized pots more often than not. I honestly think I should start trying to bet harder preflop and eliminate those types of hands, bc rarely am I gonna win a big pot against trash hands like that... hes gonna flop a miracle or be done on the flop
Old 05-21-2007, 03:40 PM

Make a note who is seeing flops with 59o and start raising them with air if no one raises before you.

You will pick up many small pots on the flop because they miss so much and you will not loose big ones unless you flop the second nuts with that garbage hand or something.

As for your question. Just be cautious postflop and don't overbet. 4bb+1bb/limper is just fine, even at 25NL