Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 09:20 AM

Default Started a diet and can\'t eat enough anymore

For about 10 years, I've gained 10-15 pounds a year and eaten pretty badly (overeat at a meal, then feed the crash with more sugar), and ended up at 6'0 315, borderline high blood pressure, general bad shape. Sitting on my ass playing tons of poker helped, of course. I tried cooking everything I ate, but the problem there is I just really f'ing hate cooking. It's not sustainable for me.

So I switched to diet attempt number 2, based around my general laziness- an assortment of microwave meals selected for reasonable nutrition/low sugar content (and occasionally a pizza), plus canned vegetables, aiming for 3-4 meals with a total 1500-2000 calories a day (plus a multivitamin). I've also switched to drinking water only.

And.. it's been ridiculous. Sugar cravings are just gone (I am/was definitely not diabetic, although I'm just as sure it was going to happen sooner rather than later). Feeling hungry after meals is gone (corn still messes with me, so I don't eat any significant amount of it). In fact I have the opposite problem. I'm so NOT hungry most of the time that my natural eating now isn't even 1500 calories. For the past week, I've been at 1200ish calories, sometimes even lower. I'm eating a microwave meal (or a chunk of veggies) whenever I start to feel hungry, and it's 3 times a day now instead of 4, and after the meal I'm anywhere from sated to stuffed (on something like a 98c Michelina's pasta dish, wtf). I drink a reasonable amount of water every day.

I've lost 20 pounds so far, but I'm worried about the low calorie intake and the general lack of appetite. I'm not TRYING to eat that little, but I just have no hunger to eat more. There's no way a 30 yr old, 6'0, 295lb guy can be okay on 1000-1200 calories, right? I have another 75lbs to go at least, and I'm glad to be losing relatively effortlessly, but I want to do it in a healthy manner. Suggestions?

Bump up exercise beyond simple walking (other than which I'm sitting on my ass about every waking minute)?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Started a diet and can\'t eat enough anymore

Do light cardio and get your heart rate into the low range of the fat burning zone. This will bump up your appetite.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:03 PM

More exercise will probably a jumpstart your metabolism a bit more, but to be honest, a calorie-restricted diet like yours isn't that bad an idea if you're getting your nutrient requirements fulfilled and you're satiated.

Just be aware that at a certain point of weight loss, you'll want to start ratcheting up the intensity of your exercise. I would start with doing bodyweight exercises (squat, pushup, situp, etc) and go from there. Once you cross that bridge, we'll go from there.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:05 PM

Congrats on your weight loss! Sometimes big things happen in subtle changes. I think your decision to stop drinking soda and only water was perhaps the most crucial step. Those high calories and high sugar in soda is what prevents many people from losing the weight they want.

However, I just want to mention that those microwave dinners despite having low sat fat or calories may still be very unhealthy. There is a lot to that food label you need to keep your eye on. Some foods may have little calories and almost no saturated fat, but their sodium levels can be extremely high. Also those frozen foods often have chemicals for preservation.
Maintaining a low calorie diet is one thing, but eating healthy is something else. Try to eat as many fresh fruits and vegetables as you can, I would avoid the canned stuff. And microwave dinners are ok sometimes, but don't rely on them for a healthy weight-loss.