Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Why do I only tilt while playing texas hold\'em?

I realized something after getting up from a texas hold'em game just as I was going on tilt. (usually I don't get up and I wind up throwing a party, so just getting up was a major step for me) I realized the ONLY game I tilt on is texas hold'em.

I play as much Omaha8, Stud8, PLO, and Pineapple as I do Texas, so why do I ONLY tilt while playing texas? Does anyone else have this experience? Any speculation why this is? My own speculation is that hi/lo games have much less variance in them, plus I generally do well in those games, compared to texas. In addition, one thing that puts me on tilt is being card dead, and it's much easier to be card dead in Texas than these other games. So that might be it.

Just kinda weird that I have this experience.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Why do I only tilt while playing texas hold\'em?

I find a lot easier to be card dead in split pot games than HE games but I play pretty tight in Stud8 and 08. From past play I am used to card dead stretches in HE and believe it or not it was a positive thing going through those dead stretches. It sucked not playing many hands for hours at a time but if you can do it and only blind off a little money it proves to yourself that you have the patience and discipline to be a good long term player IMO.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:48 AM

Could it be that you are a good poker player in other games, but you are outclassed in he, and tilt because of this?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could it be that you are a good poker player in other games, but you are outclassed in he, and tilt because of this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that you mention it, that is a possibility. I know that for me, ego is definitely involved in my going on tilt, so that could have something to do with it as well. All I know is that outside of one incredibly soft limit he game, I'm going to be avoiding that game for the most part and concentrating on the others. Alas.