Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Help with calling range when 3bet, im playing a 29/20 v.aggressive

since ive come back on thursday, ive been playing more aggressive than i have been. playing a 29/20 game, raising every pp to 4bb if no limpers, 6bb with a limper, raising every button if folded round to me etc.

i cbet almost every single time, and focus on ensuring i have position on the flop as much as i can.

problem comes about when 2+2 tags 3bet me. assuming stacks are $400 (at 2-4nl), what should my calling range be if i have raised utg+1 with my range (Axs, any pocket pair, any 2 cards above 10, any suited connector, some suited gap connectors). this may seem like i should have a higher % than 20%, but sometimes i may shift down a gear for 20 hands or so if my c-bets arent getting any respect.

so, lets say i am raising to 4bb ($16) with that range in utg+1. a 20/14 reraises to $56. do you call with:

- any pocket pair (less than 10s)

- any suited connector or suited gap connector

- JKs, QK, QKs, AQ or AJ?

just i find sometimes i go into a snowball of donking. i dont like to fold as i feel my domination image of the table drops if i fold to 3 bets, plus i know ill get paid, but putting in 1/10th of my stacks means suited connectors should be out of the question, but still i feel folding is weak.

if you have position do you call far more liberally?

also i guess a key factor is opponent's aggression factor and whether he second barrels, as often it is tempting to check-call and then check turn and see what he does. but can be risky.

ive really enjoyed playing this style, and been running well, but i want to stop these runs where i start calling too much becuase i feel if i hit i will get paid, but im not really getting the odds, and the reverse implied odds could be massive.

any help greatly appreciated,

john
Old 05-20-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Help with calling range when 3bet, im playing a 29/20 v.aggressive

Throw away the small pp since you don't have enough odds for set mining, you need to win some pots without hitting a set to make them count and small pp seldom make good bluffing hands. Against a frequent 3-b I call something like 77+, occasional sc:s since they make good bluffing hands and the suited broadways. However, don't open up your calling range that supermuch against a frequent 3-bettor. Open up your 4-bet range instead. I usually 4 bet A2s-A6s and QQ+, AK when someone with a somewhat wide range 3 bet me. The wider range they 3-bet, the more hands I add to my 4-bet range.

Regarding position, I rather call the weaker pp in pos since they have showdown value and the hands that make draws oop, since they often make better c r hands (however this changes when stacks get deeper).
Old 05-20-2007, 10:41 PM

i think you should raise less pf (3x or 3.5x) if you're playing 29/20 cause you're gonna get 3bet a ton and its better to keep the pot smaller so you can afford to call some of these re-raises with your "speculative" hands...
Old 05-21-2007, 09:02 AM

Any Pocket Pair = Call (for set value). Contrary to Baracus you do infact have odds for set mining.

Throw away all broadway crap cards, especially the non-suited onces.

If you're going to 4 bet, make sure it is AK, big PP, and rarely SC.

But mainly focus on the bad players instead of showing off to a 2p2'er. There are plenty of weak opponents out there - Target them instead.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any Pocket Pair = Call (for set value). Contrary to Baracus you do infact have odds for set mining.

[/ QUOTE ]

People who think that we do have odds to call are sooo naive imo, and make light 3betters a lot of money.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People who think that we do have odds to call are sooo naive imo, and make light 3betters a lot of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

shhhhhh [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Throw away the small pp since you don't have enough odds for set mining, you need to win some pots without hitting a set to make them count and small pp seldom make good bluffing hands. Against a frequent 3-b I call something like 77+, occasional sc:s since they make good bluffing hands and the suited broadways. However, don't open up your calling range that supermuch against a frequent 3-bettor. Open up your 4-bet range instead. I usually 4 bet A2s-A6s and QQ+, AK when someone with a somewhat wide range 3 bet me. The wider range they 3-bet, the more hands I add to my 4-bet range.

Regarding position, I rather call the weaker pp in pos since they have showdown value and the hands that make draws oop, since they often make better c r hands (however this changes when stacks get deeper).

[/ QUOTE ]

and what if we are in the momentum(?) where he knows that we 4bet light cuz he 3bet light, and he starts shoving light...
how do we adjust? leave the table?
Old 05-21-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and what if we are in the momentum(?) where he knows that we 4bet light cuz he 3bet light, and he starts shoving light...
how do we adjust? leave the table?

[/ QUOTE ]
Eh no, just add hands like AQ and JJ and call him.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:08 AM

If you are getting 3-b a lot by decent players all you can do is cut down on your range of hands to play. Calling loosely will lead to burning money. Your style has lost its profitability in this situation.