Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Smart Buddy Review

What's up guys? When I saw the original post by Poker Pro about Smart Buddy the universal poker buddy list I was very excited because I'd been searching for basically exactly that for a while and disliked stars buddy. The full version went public less than a week ago, I bought it immediately and I've been using it for the last 5 days. The interface looks just like aim which is exactly what I wanted (not dockable yet unfortunately but it is the very first release and a very early version). You also have ample space for notes on the fish which pop up when you want, so you don't have to do any guesswork with them once you find them. It also finds people that are hidden from search....eventually

That is the drawback to this program - it is incredibly slow in how long it takes to find people. I did another test tonight with SilentNoise and it took over an hour to find him after he had sat down. Not only that, but it leaves screen names up LONG after they have finished playing (over an hour in some cases just in the few days that I've been using it). So not only when you find the fish most of the time there is already a waiting list to get to them, but a good amount of the time they have already finished donating, have gone bust, and are done for the night.

I'm not toooo annoyed by this, basically because this program has already in the very short time I've had it, made me far more money than I spent on it ($39) and I do realize that this is the first release and a very, very early version. I also realize that we do not have the official OK on this program from pokerstars. That being said, I love the concept, but the excecution simply needs work.

Even though I love the concept I have to give this product a 6/10, at least until there is an update that makes this software work faster and better.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Smart Buddy Review

Good to know, thx bro.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the review; we did some testing last night and found some sections to be slower than others. We are waiting for more equipment to arrive, should be here sometime next week. This should eliminate your issue with information updates.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:24 PM

so, can you, or can't you, search for hidden buddies.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:45 PM

Try allsnap for docking. http://www.cs.utoronto.ca/~iheckman/allsnap/
Old 07-24-2007, 11:56 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong.... but

if your hidden from search in the Pokerstars client, Smart Buddy can still see what tables your sitting at...

if you go to Smart Buddies website, there is a spot where you can "opt out" and be hidden from search if you chose.

that way, nobody will be able to see what tables your at using smart buddy
Old 07-24-2007, 08:19 PM

I guess this got bumped, I'll update my review

I love SmartBuddy now, it finds people a lot faster than it did originally and it does find people that are hiding from search. Since I wrote that review they added a popup notifier that shows when someone signs on or off. This is nice, but it stays up for about 5 seconds or so and if you see that it's someone you wanna get right into playing against and you try to click on your smartbuddy panel in the taskbar, Smartbuddy will not pop up. You need to go over and manually X out the buddy notifier or just sit and wait for it to go away. This is not a huge deal, just a very minor annoyance but it's something they could fix. Still no docking (although I have to check out that allsnap thing), and they def still have work to do but it's definitely a solid 7/10 minimum for me only because I feel like it really is still a very new product and has a lot of room to improve upon itself.