Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 08:57 PM

Default NL 200 | KK 170BB deep...facing more heat than a summer in Africa

So it's down to 4-handed on this table and villain is 24/12/11.0 over 120 hands. He's been really aggressive postflop, but we have not had any real history together so far. He doubled his stack earlier winning QQ vs AK all in pf against some other donk. I've been playing aggressive as well, running around 20/17/8.5, 3-betting a lot, and he's probably taken notice of it.

This hand was tough, I haven't been playing 1/2 for too long and I've just been taking shots at it so all comments are welcome on any street.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($412.20)
BB ($200)
UTG ($344.20)
Button ($203.60)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $6</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $22</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $16.

Flop: ($46) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $74</font>, Hero calls $44.

Turn: ($194) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $248.2 (All-In)</font>, Hero?

The toughest part I'm having right now is putting him on a range here, I felt like I should have 3-bet the flop but I wasn't sure whether to shove it in or not when we're this deep (can i get a call from a worse hand, QQ/JJ?). My plan was to c/rai on the turn and then he just shoved it in...puke! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2007, 10:49 PM

Default Re: NL 200 | KK 170BB deep...facing more heat than a summer in Africa

i'm 3 betting the flop every single time

"(can i get a call from a worse hand, QQ/JJ?)"

TT/AceXspades/QJspades/TJspades/9Tspades

+ the fact you are both playing aggresively
Old 05-20-2007, 07:43 AM

sorry gotta bump this for more feedback.

I'm just trying to find out if this is a standard situation or not. Does everyone pretty much 3-bet push this flop here or is it more marginal perhaps. Anyone find a fold here, especially on the turn as played? I thought this might just be a cooler so sorry I just wasn't sure if I played it right.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:35 AM

i think pushing the flop is best here as well. Turn is an ugly card and i think his all in push often is a flush or a set and we really dont have the 40% equity we would need, so i think folding there is good.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:44 AM

I would 3-bet push flop.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:49 AM

if you don't 3bet flop, you have to call this, and its not even close
Old 05-20-2007, 11:03 AM

I prefer a larger 3 bet pre. $24/25 looks good.
Then a larger bet on the flop. This forces him to commit with JJ/QQ when he comes over the top on the flop.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:13 AM

I'd say this deep a 3bet preflop is best. He made a rele smallish flop raise...? If he's rele tough/aggro, he could definitely have air here and jus picked up T's with spade draw or somethin. You said you've been taking shots at this game? When you take shots and aren't rolled for a game, I think once u win a substantial amount (double your buyin), you should leave and sit at another table with less so you can handle the swings in relation to ur roll. The thing is, your hand is VERY underrepped preflop, and looks like AK exactly when you flatcall the smallish flop raise just trying to peel one. In that case, I call, and you do have Ks as an out. I rele doubt he can put u on a big pair at all, and RAREly will anyone shove a set here or made flush here IMO, especially this deep when you haven't shown any real strength this hand. When all these points are evaluated, I'd say this is a call. Results?
Old 05-20-2007, 03:42 PM

Thanks guys I really appreciate all of your comments I feel like you all nailed the hand pretty much and I had the same thoughts afterwards. Riverhebrew, I agree with your advice on leaving the table if I'm just taking shots at the game. I usually do but I was stuck a buy-in or so that day so you know how it goes. I thought my deep stack game was decent enough to be able to outplay this guy as well.

My thoughts on his turn shove were as follows...

1) [censored], I should have just 3-bet shove the flop. [censored] [censored] [censored] I've put myself at a really tough decision now goddamn.

2) This would be the biggest pot of my life if I call this (sorry, small stakes donk).

3) Wow what could he have here, this is so [censored] sick I would have felt fine with any card but a spade here. Can he have the flush? JJ or QQ with a lower spade draw? Would a set really shove this turn spade? I look at his stats and notice he's been supper aggro on the flop and especially turn. I tried to find some previous big pots he played that I missed but time started to run out. I look at his bet again and the size of a pot and it just didn't make sense for him to play flush so strong when I've played my hand so passively. How does he know I couldn't have a flush here? I basically put his range down to JJ/QQ/TT and maybe rarely a flush but I just don't think a flush makes such a small raise on the flop with no FE almost. So I clicked call and held my breath, and I was actually surprised to see him show down with AA with a spade draw to have me completely dominated. River blanks and MHING. Oh well, I'm just relieved to hearit wasn't a terrible call. This hand really bothered me the way I played it, I thought I really [censored] it up by not raising more pf, betting the flop harder and just shoving over his raise and double fist pumping. Thanks again for all your feedback.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:34 PM

i fold the turn pretty much instantly this deep.