Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 07:43 PM

Default The turn with medium strong hands

After moving up the limits from NL5 to NL50 in ~135k hands i now find myself in a situation were i'm a constant winning player but i think i could make a better winrate than 3ptbb on NL50FR.
Thats why i started to look around for some leaks i have and how i can improve my skills.
I found out that I may loose too much value with medium strong hands like TPTK or overpairs. In the last ~5-6k hands i put a lot of emphasis on these hands and how i should play them.
Usually a hand like this :

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $62.15
BB: $58.40
UTG: $8.65
UTG+1: $9.25
<font color="black">Hero (MP1): $78.45</font>
MP2: $40.91
MP3: $8.50
CO: $52.00
BTN: $76.75

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.00</font>, 4 folds, SB calls $1.75, BB folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($4.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $3.00</font>, SB calls $3.00

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($10.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks

<font color="black">River:</font> ($10.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $6.00</font>, SB folds

Pot Size: $16.50

Usually it's a lot like betting preflop and getting called
betting the flop and get called, check behind turn and valuebet river or call a well sized bet from villain. As you can see i really try to do a lot of pot control with hands like TPTK.but after collecting ~30 similar Hands from the last session i realized that i have problems to find the right spots to bet the turn again because in some situations on a 2suited board villain may be chasing a flush and would call a turnbet but wont call with a busted flushdraw on the river when i check behind the turn.
I think i'm loosing way too much value on spots like this.

When do you usually bet the turn again with a medium strong hand ?
Of course, if i got the reads that villain calls the flopbet 90% of the time but folding to a turnbet i do so, but i'd like to talk more about board you should bet on then turn.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: The turn with medium strong hands

WA/WB situation. I would bet the river. If SB has a bad hand, he isn't going to call a river bet if his hand doesn't improve.

A set will never fold, 2pair unlikely, too.

Don't give him the free card.

edit: I lose value in those situations, too [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]