Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 07:35 AM

Default $50 $25kg Good spot for a bluff?

No especially solid reads on villain (I had vague feeling he wasn't great but I wasn't paying much attention) but I haven't been out of line. He insta-raised which I take to mean he's not flopped a set. In these situations, from his POV, I've either whiffed or I'm shoving and I just didn't think that he could have hit the flop hard enough with his limp/calling pf range - unless he has a set and I figure they don't instaraise. Thoughts?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t25/t50
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t3550
UTG+1: t2970
MP1: t3035
MP2: t2940
MP3: t5505
CO: t2925
Button: t3220
Hero: t3055
BB: t2740

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, MP1 calls t50 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t75)</font>, 4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t200</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls t150 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t300)</font>.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t450, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t300</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to t900</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero immediately shoves.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:51 AM

Default Re: $50 $25kg Good spot for a bluff?

Good play I guess. He tried to steal that pot with that raise on the flop and will fold to your shove. Especially that instaraise tells that he didnt flop anything big.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero immediately shoves

[/ QUOTE ]I wonder what's the point of "immediately" shoving ... I mean, if I have a big pp I take a few seconds in that situation and consider whether this is were I go for broke or not?

Anyway, there's 4,200 in the pot and he has to call 1,900 ... you're probably not getting him to fold a 4-flush, and you're in bad shape to specifically Ac5c ... if you feel certain he doesn't have set he's probably folding low to medium pairs; he might or might not fold open-enders but unless he's on a str8/flush draw you're ahead against most of his connectors give or take JT.

I certainly don't mind your push here ... again trusting your read I'd think you're either ahead or you have 6 outs twice should he call.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:10 PM

Yeah I like it. To bad hes never folding JT sooooted.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hero immediately shoves

[/ QUOTE ]I wonder what's the point of "immediately" shoving ... I mean, if I have a big pp I take a few seconds in that situation and consider whether this is were I go for broke or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a valid point. I'd shove both pretty quick tbh. I generally act quick. On flops like this, you generally have a plan for how you're going to react to a raise and, unless the raise is unusual in some way, I carry it our pretty quick. I don't think this is great though, partly because you should aim to always be 'in the moment' and partly because my bluffs don't appear to get a lot of respect.

I thought the action rep a big pair fairly well but evidently no one really believed me.

registrar: raises 1955 to 2855 and is all-in
mclaughlin04: folds
mclaughlin04 said, "$10 to see your hand"
registrar collected 2250 from pot
mclaughlin04 said, "im even money vs AKcc but i think i was behind"
oshan2: bets 450
CybrPunk said, "maybe he bluffed you since he knows you can't call with just top pair..... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]"
onasis16 said, "exactly"
abelino1: checks
onasis16 said, "nice bet"
oshan2: bets 800
mclaughlin04 said, "didnt have top pair"