Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 03:05 AM

Default Do you say something to your opponent?

Down to 3 players in a low stakes sit-n-go...the small stack goes all-in pre-flop, and I call and the big stack calls. We check the flop, then he bets the turn. I fold A-9 UI, and I see that he has 10-9 and is on a straight draw. He misses the straight on the river and the small stack triples up with K-J UI.

I asked him why he bet and he said, "it was a small bet for me." I generally don't try and educate the opposition, but if you were in this situation would you explain to him what he did wrong?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:10 AM

Default Re: Do you say something to your opponent?

No.

Just make a note on him.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:56 AM

Raise to isolate PF?
Old 05-19-2007, 07:43 AM

It did not cost him anything to get you to fold and depending on the stacks it might benefit him to have shorty around for an orbit or two. He actually might need to say something to you (for education purposes).
Old 05-19-2007, 07:58 AM

it always amuses me when people expect to see good play at low stake tables. I had a guy criticis my play at a .5/1 omaha08 table once (the lowest table offered). I had never played it. He started pointing out my errors and telling me i played crappy. I said, yeah, we all do here, thats why were sitting at a .5/1 table, cause we suck, and this is where sucky players play. seeing as he was sitting at the table for the soul purpose of taking our money risk free, all he could do was laugh and say i had a point. from then on we all got alone great.

try to always play at tables where you can see the mistakes others around you are making. and then just be greatful. talk about the weather, sports, whatever. but don't lecture on poker unless the other person spacificly asks your advice, and then just answer politely.

most people playing low stakes are just there to relax and have fun. they arent even really interested in playing "correct", they just wanna play.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It did not cost him anything to get you to fold and depending on the stacks it might benefit him to have shorty around for an orbit or two. He actually might need to say something to you (for education purposes).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-19-2007, 10:38 AM

Why tell a fish what he did wrong? Seriously, if the guy's a friend of yours fine, but otherwise, it doesn't accomplish anything anyway.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:52 AM

I raise pre 3 handed w/ a9 or at least if I limp, I probably bet the flop or turn w/ A hi. His response is classic though. Don't give him advice, he outplayed you lolz.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's about four levels of sophistication beyond his play.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it always amuses me when people expect to see good play at low stake tables.
most people playing low stakes are just there to relax and have fun. they arent even really interested in playing "correct", they just wanna play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I don't really expect great play in an $8 sit-n-go. The funny thing was this guy was upbraiding everyone else at the table for not taking players out, after he would call down with bottom pair and suck out to a 2-outer on the river after calling all-in on the turn.