Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: You are making a math poll. Would you double-check your math before posting?
Yes 24 66.67%
I'm the OP 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Soccer hypothetical situation

A top-tier player such as Ronaldinho, C. Ronaldo or Drogba decides to start their own team in the National Conference. The national conference is the 5th tier in the English football system.
The team would be composed of three starters from teams currently in the EPL. One goalie, one midfield and one striker. Three players who have been subbed in more that started from the EPL.
Then four players from the second,third and fourth level leagues. The remaining 7 players on a 25 man roster would be taken from 5th level teams.
Obviously the team would dominate the fifth and fourth levels and probably taking two years total to be in the third level.
The proposed situation is how many years would it take for the team to advance to the top level of the leagues? This would require advancing from level 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Soccer hypothetical situation

Old 05-18-2007, 03:44 PM

4.53 years. What kind of question is this. How on earth would any of us know.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:21 PM

meh, too many factors to judge with any accuracy. Assuming the manager was of reasonable ability and you were taking the best from each criteria though (all players were playing 100% etc etc), I'd guess they'd make it to the second tier in straight seasons and should reach the PL in 4, main issue would be the lack of quality in depth.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:18 PM

Injuries, age, and other factors would make this hard to do in successive years.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:47 PM

3 EPL players, one arguably the best in the world, would easily carry the team into the championship in 3 years. That 4th year would depend on injuries, but if they were all healthy, it would be 4 years easily.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:06 AM

soccer players have a much shorter peak than most athletes. a team of 12 excellent EPL players (including a number of elite players) today would be pretty awful five years from now, i think. if you picked all players who are 18-22 and you had some decent luck with injuries, you might do it in five years, i guess. seven or eight would be more likely.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:10 AM

Eh, they wouldn't play as many games though, and the top players on the team wouldn't need to play every league game either.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3 EPL players, one arguably the best in the world, would easily carry the team into the championship in 3 years. That 4th year would depend on injuries, but if they were all healthy, it would be 4 years easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, the teams are a lot more tough then you think at those levels. I can see this team making it into the third tier within 2 or three years, but getting out of league 1 isn't all that easy, look at how nottingham forrest have struggled and Man CIty came very close to losing in teh play off final wehen it was division 2. don't forget that playing against this team would be like a cup final for the other teams that it'd go up against
Old 05-19-2007, 12:53 AM

Happy birthday, but be serious. We are talking about the team having one of the best players in the world.

Just say its 3 EPL players, one being C. Ronaldo in MF.

Not sure if I understand all the parameters OP laid out, but lets say for goalie they have Green from West Ham and maybe Baptista from Arsenal(LOL). They would dominate. Injuries may slow the team down, so I suppose 4 years is crazy, but it would be quick I think.