Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Bad fold at 1-3 NL Hold\'em?

This was my first time playing B&M poker. I was at Caesar's Palace and the following hand played out about 2 hours into my session. The player I was up against was an older fellow that I observed to be about average. Pretty quiet, not a rock but not very active either.

The old guy limped from second position, I was in middle position with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. There were five limpers to the flop. The flop came Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The old guy bet 15, I called, and the button called. The turn was the K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The old guy bet 15 again, I made it 105, 90 more. The button folded. The old guy thought for a second and just called. The turn was the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The old guy thinks for a second, and puts the rest of his chips in, setting me all in for the 140 I have left. I thought for a while and ended up folding.

Should I have just paid him off if he's really calling my raise on a flush draw?
Old 05-18-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Bad fold at 1-3 NL Hold\'em?

[ QUOTE ]
The old guy bet 15, I called, ...

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a mistake. Raise here.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have just paid him off if he's really calling my raise on a flush draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. My guess is that he has the flush given your description of his behavior during and prior to this hand. So, if that's your read, then stick with your read.

Sounds like he has QhXh.

Also, given the stack sizes, you can make a small raise to $10 preflop to try and build a bigger pot for when/if you flop a set. If you had raised to $10 and got all these guys to call, then you'd have had bigger action on the flop, and then probably have gone all-in as a 4:1 favorite on the turn.