Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 03:10 PM

Default bb defense w/ 99

Villain seems normal after 1 orbit

Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
4 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6.67SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4.33BB, 2 players)
Hero...

Results:
Final pot: 4.33BB
Old 05-18-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Re: bb defense w/ 99

This example definitly shows the importance of position. If you had position, i'd suggest checking behind with the intention of calling a hopefully induced bluff on the river. I'd probibly still bet here about 80% of the time, as Sklansky states, a scare card for you is often also a scare card for your opponent. 4 handed you simply can't give up, especially considering your opponents probible button steal raise.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:48 PM

gotta bet/fold if no other reads.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:56 PM

So many draws, that I think you have to bet/fold for value/protection (especially important against acehigh). You're gonna be in a tough spot on the river, but I think you have to check/fold there UI.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:57 PM

check/call then check/fold

people will fire 1 barrel a lot more than they will 2 barrels and even donkeys bet A hi when you check it to them on the river. And then don't fold it.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:00 PM

I have been incorporating the call and then fold line on scary boards more often, but I always wonder if I'm giving them too much credit for being able to give up on a bluff because I almost always get bet into again on the river when I try that move. That is a bad card for you for sure. You are really only ahead of a flush draw now if he's a decent player as you suggest. After he calls that flop I'm really tempted to just give up here. I don't see any good options so I guess danza's line or bet/fold are close. I don't think people bluff A high on the river here a lot and in this situation I don't think A high is calling 2 streets on that board unless it's hearts.

I don't like checking to induce a bluff on the river though when I'm in position as someone suggested. I rarely use that line because I think you just get value bet too much in that spot while trying to get to showdown cheaply.