Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 02:25 AM

Default nl10, full ring: pushing an overpair too hard?

UTG is 20/12/1.5 over only 25 hands, seems a little aggressive, but not dumb

SB is 35/0/.7 over 43 and doesn't seem too clever

The cards have made me look a little psycho at this table, 19/16/9 since I sat down. I'm mostly winning by pushing everyone out on the flop recently, but I showed QQ as an overpair a few hands back after betting really hard with them.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (7 handed)

CO ($7.75)
Button ($6.05)
SB ($6.75)
BB ($10)
UTG ($10.60)
Hero ($18.15)
MP2 ($11.10)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls $1.95, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $1.20.

Flop: ($6.10) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $0.1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, SB folds, UTG calls $2.90.

Turn: ($12.10) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero puts UTG all-in for $5.6</font>
Old 05-18-2007, 02:30 AM

Default Re: nl10, full ring: pushing an overpair too hard?

Looks fine to me
Old 05-18-2007, 02:59 AM

your pf raise is practically a minraise - UTG raise is a bit large granted but id still put in a raise to ~2.6$ here.

is the cbet your standard size or were you hoping for a shove over from qx hands?

id like to make a larger cbet here regardless 3/4 pot or 4.5 as played and call a shove obv. stack sizes are a litle awkward for this its true but i still prefer it to the 1/2 pot, the pot is pretty large atm and we're happy to take it down now rather than focusing on extraction with a one pair hand.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:14 AM

This is fine. You're ahead way more often than you're behind here.

That said, raise more PF. Raise more on the flop. If you do both, the flop raise probably ends up putting villain AI.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your pf raise is practically a minraise - UTG raise is a bit large granted but id still put in a raise to ~2.6$ here.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that was awkward. his oversize bet made me think a 3x raise would be too much. I guess I'm thinking I don't want to chase out AK if it wants to come along for the ride. Anything else will fold/call/raise the same, and I might even get a reraise from UTG.

[ QUOTE ]
is the cbet your standard size or were you hoping for a shove over from qx hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, my cbets are almost always 2/3-3/4 pot. Again, it's just a stack size vs pot size thing. I'm not really afraid of flush/straight draws here (1/2 pot is plenty to charge a gutshot at the royal straight), and this bet leaves $6 behind to make a good size bet on the turn. Any more and it may as well be an all-in.

Which makes it sound like I thought about this hand. Really my thought process was more like "kickass, he just raised into my aces!". It didn't really go through my mind that this 8xBB bet could tell me a lot about what he's holding.

I'm terrible at reading hands. Post facto, what seems right: TT-KK + AK? +AJ-AQ? other crappy KQ-type hands he just wants to drive everyone out with?

Then with the flop call, we drop TT-JJ and AK, so he's either got the set of Queens or pocket Kings (forget AA). Maybe AQ. So push does make sense? Seems hard to get away from no matter what.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That said, raise more PF. Raise more on the flop. If you do both, the flop raise probably ends up putting villain AI.

[/ QUOTE ]

you know, as soon as you say that, it makes perfect sense. The sooner I'm all in with the rockets, the better.