Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 01:20 AM

Default want to prove wife wrong.

I don't know if this is right place. I just need to prove my wife wrong (or right however you look at it). Basically I found a local group that rounds the bar scene and sets up good soft tourney's. They get anywhere from 40-50, have nice tables, and supply dealers. It is $40, 3 times a week.

We have been killing it for about 2 to 3 months now. I taught her everything she knows and at first I didn't know if she was ready but she insisted I let her go and now she is killing it worse than me. She has final tabled like 10 str8 times only not cashing when her AA got cracked first hand of final table. (I am kind of card dead right now)

I got into argument with her because I say that we have pulled so much out of there that we have to go every time because it is positive ROI% for us. Her thought right away still is, "what if we go and both lose." Just her alone is up $855 in the last month, after expenses. She wanted to have me come on here explain the situation to you guys and see your responses to believe that we should almost treat that place as a 2nd income. (We had a big hit 3 weeks ago, I took 1st, she took 3rd. $750 profit taken home that night)
Old 05-18-2007, 02:59 AM

Default Re: want to prove wife wrong.

"want to prove wife wrong."

Good Luck.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:18 AM

uhmmm its 80 bucks? try it a few times and if it doesnt work out, dont do it anymore.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:19 AM

Go if you're having fun. Don't go if you're not having fun.

If your ROI is 100% (just a guess, but probably generous even if you are "killing" the game) then you're going to be "making" about $10 an hour for a four hour tournament. This is probably not worth your time if you look at it as a job, but a nice but unpredictable bonus if you're doing something you enjoy anyway.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:57 AM

3 nights a week is 36 nights of poker over 3 months at a smoke filled bar with 50 usually drunk guys. how long do these tourneys usually running with 50 people in them? those are some frequent late nights for both of you. don't rely on them as a 2nd income, thats a terrible idea.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:06 AM

usually 4 hours. and we don't rely on it but because we are up in the last 2 months from that place about a grand a piece I see no reason why not right.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:31 PM

Your play is independent of each other so if one or both or neither or you play, it doesn't matter.

If your wife is killing it like you say and given how you have described her poker background, I might suspect that she is on a good run and her true skill level vs. the field may start to even out. That's my subjective opinion, but if that does happen, you may have a new argument on your hands.

Personally, I play poker as an individual and if my wife or friends want to come along, fine.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:17 PM

In the history of mankind, no man has ever proven his wife wrong and lived to talk about it. Just apologize and tell her she's right.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"want to prove wife wrong."

Good Luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is so much the truth.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the history of mankind, no man has ever proven his wife wrong and lived to talk about it. Just apologize and tell her she's right.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bacats32 can break this streak. He should take all their money and find the biggest stake game he can for the two of them to play. If they double their money, his wife was wrong to doubt the profitability of poker. If they lose all their money, his wife was wrong to marry him.

Then the only problem is living to talk about it.