Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Response to a (live) three bet--weak or reasonable?

Live 15/30, with seven or eight at the table. Typical loose and passive conditions.

Villain is a winning, thinking player. He plays close to by-the-book TAG. He sees me as too tight, especially post flop. He can be expected to play hands in a very straightforward, by the book manner when HU. I don't recall the guy ever taking a shot at me. He's one of the few players with whom I've ever had (quiet), honest strategy conversations at the table. He was once fairly critical of a fold I made with a set of aces when the BB led the river into a 6BB pot with a four flush board.

UTG I raise with 99
Folded to the villain who three bets.
I call.

Flop is KK3, rainbow. I check. He gives me a long look and checks behind.

Turn is a brick. I check. He bets. I fold.

In this spot I put him on a pocket pair rather than overs. I don't think he ever three bets either AQ or AJ against me preflop and I can't imagine his three betting a smaller pocket pair than my 99. His flop behavior and style of play made it very unlikely that he had AK (or any K holding).

Is this a reasonable fold here given the read or is the range attributed ridiculously narrow against even tight, straightforward players?
Old 05-17-2007, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Response to a (live) three bet--weak or reasonable?

I would assume he has AK or KK here. I can't see how he could check the flop if he has JJ/TT, he's giving free cards out to AQ (or AJ if he has TT).
Old 05-17-2007, 11:39 PM

I could see him playing this way with QQ or JJ, figuring that OP is either crushing him with a K or is drawing to 3 outs (unless he puts OP on specifically AQ).

Either way I can't argue with the read here. A tight, straightforward player isn't 3-betting an UTG raise from a player he respects (and even thinks is too tight) without a hand that is crushing OP here. The only question is if we might be able to bluff this guy off of a big pair, but I think his defensive flop check pretty ruins that chance.

Nice fold.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He sees me as too tight, especially post flop

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I'm not folding 99 here. He's likely 3-betting you with all sorts of worse pairs, and stuff like AJs too. Yeah, yeah, he hasn't taken shots at you. That doesn't mean much.

This is a decent spot for a checkraise. He's going to pee his pants, and while you may well blow him off a hand that's drawing to two outs, you also get him to for sure muck hands with 6 outs and might even get him to lay down a bigger pair than yours given how he views you. You can obviously fold to a 3-bet and on the river you can call an audible based on your read.

BTW, I find this:

[ QUOTE ]
In this spot I put him on a pocket pair rather than overs. I don't think he ever three bets either AQ or AJ against me preflop and I can't imagine his three betting a smaller pocket pair than my 99. His flop behavior and style of play made it very unlikely that he had AK (or any K holding).

Is this a reasonable fold here given the read or is the range attributed ridiculously narrow against even tight, straightforward players?

[/ QUOTE ]

To be really questionable. He can't have AK? You said good player, not uber-nit.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:16 PM

Did you consider 4-betting PF and then betting any flop? If you're going to play weak passive after the flop on a board that contains 1 overcard, then I think it's better to invest another bet up front and try to take control of the hand. I don't think 4-betting is always the best play, but c/f on the turn makes you look uber-weak and lets other players know that you freeze up to a PF 3-bet.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:33 PM

Your description of his long look gave me the impression that he was worried about you having a King. Since he views you as such a tight player, did you think about betting the turn?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I find this:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be really questionable. He can't have AK? You said good player, not uber-nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The playing interaction with this guy is fairly unusual. He almost has a code about whom he'll choose to hard play or snow. If he had AK, it is very close to 100% he'd bet out. Its very unlikely he'd have KQ or KJ.

[ QUOTE ]
Did you consider 4-betting PF and then betting any flop? If you're going to play weak passive after the flop on a board that contains 1 overcard, then I think it's better to invest another bet up front and try to take control of the hand. I don't think 4-betting is always the best play, but c/f on the turn makes you look uber-weak and lets other players know that you freeze up to a PF 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against him, no. He'd call down any big pair unless the board came really bad. That and I like to maintain the impression that I play him in a straightforward manner as it affords me certain opportunities in big pots.

Even against a typical opponent in this game I'd not often three bet 99. I don't find myself getting isolated much, especially with an UTG raise. If I'm three bet after an UTG raise is means my 99 have a big equity deficit. In my experience in this game, many players cold call even JJ, QQ or AK in this spot. Bad position means that I don't want to bloat a pot and tie the typical player into hanging around with overs. Against much/most of the table I'd show down with 99 on the current board. The fold here was very player specific.

[ QUOTE ]
Your description of his long look gave me the impression that he was worried about you having a King. Since he views you as such a tight player, did you think about betting the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I thought about check raising the turn. Betting the turn means that he'd hold on to any pocket pair. A check raise would be likely to sell him that I held a KK or a pocket pair bigger than his. He was putting me on AQ or AJ here so even the check raise may have been unnecessarily fancy.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:58 AM

Heck, it sounds like you should've just open folded when you didn't spike your set.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:01 PM

Bet the flop, play accordingly, next hand.

I don't think that there is much in the way of putting your opponent on ranges here. I truly doubt that villian just flopped quad kings. The hand is basically what your opponent thinks you have. I would think he believes that my UTG raise includes a king. The book says re-raise with TT+, AK, and I guess a few others. So, you are "ahead" of his range.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop, play accordingly, next hand.

I don't think that there is much in the way of putting your opponent on ranges here. I truly doubt that villian just flopped quad kings. The hand is basically what your opponent thinks you have. I would think he believes that my UTG raise includes a king. The book says re-raise with TT+, AK, and I guess a few others. So, you are "ahead" of his range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? If villian's preflop range is what you give, hero is behind every single hand.