Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 10:31 PM

Default How would America React if GWB Died Tomorrow?

The wildly irreverent Jerry Falwell thread makes me wonder what would happen if an even more important and more hated American died. What would happen if George W. Bush were taken out by a crazy lone gunman tomorrow?

- Would America unify in a sense of quite dignity and solemn mourning as we did during 9-11, or would the masses be divided between mourning and celebration?

- If the people celebrated, what kind of response would this get from the media (and law enforcement)?

- How would the liberal comedy pundit media (Stewart, Colbert, Maher), who have done absolutely nothing but espouse sarcastic contempt to GWB for years, address this important issue?

- Would we become more divided as a nation?

- What would you do?
Old 05-17-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Re: How would America React if GWB Died Tomorrow?

I think for the country died or was killed is an important distinction lone gunmen vs pretzel would I think have different impacts.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The wildly irreverent Jerry Falwell thread makes me wonder what would happen if an even more important and more hated American died. What would happen if George W. Bush were taken out by a crazy lone gunman tomorrow?

- Would America unify in a sense of quite dignity and solemn mourning as we did during 9-11, or would the masses be divided between mourning and celebration?

[/ QUOTE ]

If Bush was shot, anybody celebrating in public would be crucified by the media, even those who certainly did not like Bush. For those who would want to celebrate, what are you celebrating? The new President Cheney? It is not like Pelosi would take over. You'd have the exact same policies.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For those who would want to celebrate, what are you celebrating? The new President Cheney? It is not like Pelosi would take over. You'd have the exact same policies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of folk publicly celebrated When Saddam was removed from power (not sure about when he was hanged) and many of those individuals' situations are now worse, unless they're dead.

People just like to celebrate the fall of a tyrant whether or not it will benefit them.

[ QUOTE ]
-what would you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd sell my Al-Qaeda investments before Bush's estate is dished-out.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:38 PM

on a related note, the Evans-Novak (Robert Novak - i.e. - Republican lap dog extraordinare) has made a point of highlighting today the immense bipartisan relief that will be felt when GWB's tenure is over.

"Evans-Novak Political Report: "The poor Republican morale in Congress, particularly in the House, cannot be exaggerated. Party loyalists there -- we refer not only to moderates but staunch conservatives as well -- have turned their backs on President George W. Bush and admit that they cannot wait for him and his administration to leave town."

-----------

in regards to your question, it seems like a dangerous speculation designed to get the Secret Service on our asses.

I can unequivably state that any evil act such as assassination that replaces one incompetent and self-serving leader (Bush) with one even more self serving and loathsome (Dick Cheney) would be cause for sadness in my book, not rejoicing.

Impeachment, on the other hand, would have me dancing in the streets, because that would be a Republic taking action to correct an aberation in the process, (the aberation being a judically appointed president who's reign has been secured by poltical operatives suppressing votes in battleground states)

but a psycho taking matters into his own hands will not repair the Democratic process, which is now so sick in America as to be virtually on life support.

not to mention it makes us no better then those who use violence for their own selfish ends, which as we have seen only begats more horrendeous violence. Two wrongs won't make a right.

-----------

I hope he stays alive and well all the up to and thru the impeachment proceedings. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

rb
Old 05-17-2007, 11:52 PM

The internet would be broken from so many people blogging about how awesome it is.

I'd be glad that I waited until he was dead before embarking on my "urinating on the graves of dead Republicans" tour. I've already got Reagan and Nixon mapped out.

I would definitely head to the liquor store, buy some champagne, and (after paying my bill) loudly proclaim that I bought the bottle to celebrate the guy's death and pretty much dare anyone to get in a fight about it.

Really, though. Bush assassinated? There's some delicious irony there about Republicans supposedly protecting America from violence and failing, and I expect that left-of-center humorists to make light of that. The headline should read: GEORGE W. BUSH DEAD; REPUBLICAN ADMINISTRATION ULTIMATELY FAILS TO SAVE AMERICA'S ASS.

Are there any Bush statues that we can tear down?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I predict many politicians making many speeches about "coming together" "healing wounds" "putting the past behind us" and accusing anyone who doesn't agree with their policies of being insensitive to our countries loss. In short not much of anything changes.

[ QUOTE ]
- How would the liberal comedy pundit media (Stewart, Colbert, Maher), who have done absolutely nothing but espouse sarcastic contempt to GWB for years, address this important issue?

[/ QUOTE ] Probably avoid it. If they tried anything it could backfire way too easily. Best to lampoon something safe.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:05 AM

Whiskey, you actually still somehow think Bush stole one or both elections? And you wonder why everybody thinks you're a Politics troll?

Oh BTW, this thread idea blows. Any American celebrating the assassination of the President is a sad human being in my book. Say what you want about the guy, but ESPECIALLY if you dislike the administration's war policies, why would you ever cheer his death?
Old 05-18-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
on a related note, the Evans-Novak (Robert Novak - i.e. - Republican lap dog extraordinare) has made a point of highlighting today the immense bipartisan relief that will be felt when GWB's tenure is over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the hijack, but I don't think you read much Robert Novak. He is certainly not a Republican lap dog. He has always criticized Republicans. He is much more a conservative than a Republican, unlike a Sean Hannity. Novak has some integrity.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh BTW, this thread idea blows. Any American celebrating the assassination of the President is a sad human being in my book. Say what you want about the guy, but ESPECIALLY if you dislike the administration's war policies, why would you ever cheer his death?

[/ QUOTE ]
if you find a particular person evil, what's wrong with cheering for his death?