Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 07:52 PM

Default fisherman\'s delight - bet or check the turn, though

UTG is 60vpip+ lagtard and MP is 50+ call station, as is SB. Is this a clear bet or do we check because we picked up the nice draw and might have overplayed the flop? Frankly I didn't think much of utg's flop 3bet given his lagtardishness and thought could be j10 or worse.

5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (12.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, Hero ?
Old 05-17-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Re: fisherman\'s delight - bet or check the turn, though

This seems like an easy bet to me. You don't need to check behind with outs when there is a good chance you're ahead anyway. MP probably donked his weak top pair and UTG check-raised his.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:31 PM

Hrm, flop cap seems a touch spewy, even given that check-3-better is lagtarded. We have TP2K 4-way, which is nice, but is this a pot we want to bloat?
Old 05-17-2007, 08:35 PM

also sb called preflop as well (obviously since he's calling on flop)- that got left out somehow.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:12 PM

I would be fine with just calling as well, but with that many callers I'm happy to cap as well when an overaggressive player raises and might just be pumping a draw.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:44 AM

So does everyone still think the turn is a must bet?

In actuality I checked the turn. River was a black six. Checked around to me again, I bet, two folds and one call with j9o and I win.

I liked my flop cap at the time because I was punishing the two cold-callers that likely shouldn't be in the pot at all, even if I could be behind to the utg 3bet. Capping punished the call stations plus gave me control of the pot and allowed me to get to showdown for single BB if I so chose.

Just wondering if I'm missing a ton of value by not betting the turn, which especially after the fact, it looks like I probably am. Generally I feel like I make a lot of money against showdown monkeys by making sure I get to SD and not getting caught up in betting and raising hands that I don't want to face raises with.

Wondering if that mentality cost me here. I guess with the K-high flush draw I don't mind getting raised. Thoughts?
Old 05-18-2007, 11:51 AM

I think with the players a cap on the flop isn't bad but I still don't do it but I really think that you're missing a lot on the turn when you don't bet. All 3 players here have a decent chance of calling. However, you can't go by "after the fact". In this case you do have a decent chance to be behind but you've got tons of outs if you do plus you have a good chance you're still ahead. If all 3 call your turn bet and you're on a draw you're still making money. If you get raised it's not that bad either as often the fish will call that raise too. I think the fact that you capped the flop makes it a little less likely you'll be raised also.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:21 PM

this was a clear bet IMO before i read the paragraph to start the post, which is where you explain your flop play.

not betting here is a mistake. River is a value bet as well. gosh that's a nice pot when you bet both streets. ship the winrate.