Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 04:56 PM

Default 400NL Deep...Fold Set?

Played this hand last night.

History:
Villain in this hand is a winning LAG who I've played 2KNL with in the past. He's a borderline maniac preflop and 3bets more than any other reg I know. However, usually shows up with the goods in big pots, and has tightened up his game a bit (especially post flop) after what I presume to be a bad run in the bigger games.

He thinks I run ridiculously well against him, and I've been playing 22/17ish the last week, as opposed to my regular 30/22. I think he's noticed. He also thinks I play my draws hard, but we are pretty deep.

Anyway, onto the hand.

Effective stack sizes ~1K

Villain raises utg to 14. Hero Calls with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the button. Big blind calls.

FLOP: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG leads for 30, Hero raises to 135, bib blind folds, UTG raises to 250, Hero ....

Is this an any push? Does a worse hand call? My thoughts:

I figured if he had some sort of combo draw he wants to get the money in on the flop, and wouldnt make such small reraise to 250 total.

I think he plays AA and KK this way, but don't think he calls a shove too often. Not sure how he plays a bigger set, which is obv what I'm most afraid of.

Also, I'm really curious as to how does this decision changes if we have a rainbow flop, or if it changes at all.

Thanks,

PS - Made a goal to start posting more hands. Any advice would be appreciated, and let me know if this is boring. Just somewhat of a tough spot being 250bb deep as opposed to 100.

-SG
Old 05-17-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: 400NL Deep...Fold Set?

Call... wait for safe turn... he bets into you on turn with AA, KK, or same draw... you push all in, he's pot committed, you win
Old 05-17-2007, 05:05 PM

just push it, half the deck is an action killer for you on the turn anyway, and if you think he'd reraise/fold with AA/KK then that means you'd often push here with your draws, right? so if he has AA/KK then he [censored] the hand up real bad, just shove it in and let him try to figure out which level you're at
Old 05-17-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call... wait for safe turn... he bets into you on turn with AA, KK, or same draw... you push all in, he's pot committed, you win

[/ QUOTE ]

so if a non-safe card comes on the turn are you just gonna fold or something? or check it down?
Old 05-17-2007, 05:11 PM

if he puts you on a range of the nut flush draw, any of the possible open ended straight draws, and a pair of queens, then I count exactly thirteen cards which can fall on the turn which would be considered safe for him if he has KK.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this but what if turn brings something ugly? As for higher set, I think you pretty much have to assume your set is good,even 250bb deep. I would never fold bottom set here.
I think I'd just shove here, even ifyou pick it up you are winning over 25%of your stack
Old 05-17-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so if a non-safe card comes on the turn are you just gonna fold or something? or check it down?

[/ QUOTE ]

If a scary card like the J -flush card comes, I'm probably just going to re-evaluate the hand and decide whether I want to check-call.

If he checks the turn (with scare card)... I probably check behind, then bet the river for value if he checks again.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:14 PM

BTW... if it's me (and everyone knows I play draws aggresively)... I just move all in here. However, it sounds like if you move it, you're going to get him to fold.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:29 PM

Do any of your suggested lines change if it's a rainbow board?
Old 05-17-2007, 06:37 PM

Shove and expect an overpair to call, maybe AQ, or Q9 or 79. His range (btw we can pretty much rule out draws IMO becuz of his RELE small reraise on flop). So his range is AQ, Q9s, QQ, 99, 79s, AA, and KK. 2/7 of his range beats you; I mean i can NEVER fold this so I'd valueshove... It's cooler if you lose. I can NEVER fold here, tho this ~minreraise is very scary.